• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Used the towing insurance

patiodadio

Motorcyclist
My wife and I started on a cross country trip and picked up a large bolt in our new Pilot Road GT . I always keep a can of motorcycle fix-a-flat and tire plugs etc but the hole was so big you could stick your finger in it. We were 250 miles from home, it was about 12:45 pm on Sunday. I called the number for our BMWMOA towing insurance and talked to a nice helpful young man but we had a bit of a language problem. Still he said he would text me as soon as he got a truck headed our way. After about an hour I called him back, he said he could not find anyone in my area and was still looking. After waiting 5 1/2 hours we finally got a truck that was only about 20 miles from us. The driver was a very nice fellow and said they had called him 3 times over the last 3 hrs asking questions etc before telling him to come and get us. We loaded up our R1200RT on his rollback and headed for the nearest dealer , 114 miles from us. I called the tire replacement folks the next morning and got the authorization number. The dealer smoked me on the tire, $428 for the tire and mounting. After about 2 weeks I got a check for $250 from the tire insurance folks. Although we had a tough time, everything worked like it was supposed too, just took a long time to get the tow truck. Also, it was a rough ride for my wife and I in the cab of a big truck that was really only meant for 2, with us and all our gear, helmets, jackets etc. the 3 hour ride was hard. I will get the insurance again (and hope we never need it).

It was BMW of Louisville http://www.bmwlouisville.com
I had just bought a new Pilot Road GT from my local (not BMW) motorcycle shop, Ashland Cycle https://ashlandcycle.com
I think I gave $178 for the tire, I took them the wheel and they mounted it for free. I love BMW motorcycles and this is my 3rd RT but I really don't think I can afford to ride them anymore. My 2010 RT is out of warranty of course, what if I had a major problem on the road ? $$$$$$$$

Good Grief patiodadio.... NO! That DID NOT work the way the BMWMOA, or likely even MOTORAD intended... to be of service/benefit to you,
as I've read it, and in my opinion.

And yet another bad story of that stealership in Louisville. Throughout this region of country, very many "locals" (me included) ...travel far & wide
to avoid their door.

Once upon a time, I was hopeful the responsible MOA Coordinator, would play a role in helping them conform to accepted, customary & reasonable practices,
that a BMW owner would expect.

Your experience tells me otherwise, and that the dealer knew of the probable tire insurance, and wanted to profit handsomely on your unfortunate position.

Being open for business on Sunday's should not be reason for anyone being "smoked" like you were.

"Travel'n" John
I ride to Eurosport in Asheville NC

I'm not trying to justify the prices the dealer in Louisville charged but most dealers are closed on Sunday and Monday. They saved you two nights in a hotel and two days of your trip to get you a new tire mounted on Sunday.

Few dealers, with some exceptions, sell tires at mail order prices so I would expect to pay over $300 installed at most dealers. About $100 extra is a small surcharge to pay for Sunday service to avoid a possible two day delay.

I'm not trying to justify the prices the dealer in Louisville charged but most dealers are closed on Sunday and Monday. They saved you two nights in a hotel and two days of your trip to get you a new tire mounted on Sunday.

Few dealers, with some exceptions, sell tires at mail order prices so I would expect to pay over $300 installed at most dealers. About $100 extra is a small surcharge to pay for Sunday service to avoid a possible two day delay.

The way I see it the work was done on Monday during their normal business hours. Perhaps I am missing something? Patiodadio - can you clarify what day they did the work. The only way they could have done it on Sunday was very late at night according to your timeline.

http://www.bmwlouisville.com/know-where-and-when-we-open--hours

The way I see it the work was done on Monday during their normal business hours. Perhaps I am missing something? Patiodadio - can you clarify what day they did the work. The only way they could have done it on Sunday was very late at night according to your timeline.

http://www.bmwlouisville.com/know-where-and-when-we-open--hours

After re-reading the OP looks like you are right, work was probably done on Monday. I agree pricing is too high but still saved a day over most dealers that are also closed on Monday.

Few dealers, with some exceptions, sell tires at mail order prices so I would expect to pay over $300 installed at most dealers.

Maybe more than $300. Some dealers charge MSRP for the tires and MSRP for a Pilot Road 4 is over $300.

Back