• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2006 650 GS Dakar-chain and sprocket

nortoneye

Hello,

As a new owner of a 650 Dakar that may need sprockets and a chain, is it wishful thinking that I can change theses myself?? I know getting the front sprocket off can be a b-----. The bike is stored in Europe and I have not seen it in person yet. Just wondering if I am better off to have it done by a local dealer and not mess with it.

Thanks for your input.

G650 Chain

Hello,

As a new owner of a 650 Dakar that may need sprockets and a chain, is it wishful thinking that I can change theses myself?? I know getting the front sprocket off can be a b-----. The bike is stored in Europe and I have not seen it in person yet. Just wondering if I am better off to have it done by a local dealer and not mess with it.

Thanks for your input.

I think some of your decision should be based on if you plan on doing this again? I get somewhere between 15k to 20k on my 2013 G650GS chains. If your not going to put more than those miles during your ownership of this bike you may want to take the easy peasy route of taking it to your friendly dealer. If you think there may be more chains in your future you can go someplace like this http://sprocketcenter.com/ and get the parts and tools you will need. I think it cost me $225.00 for the chain, sprockets and Motion Pro chain breaker.

You will need something to break the chain and install the chain NOT using a circlip masterlink (Motion Pro). I do not remember the countershaft being difficult and I am sure the countershaft nut tightening and sprocket bolt tightening has a torque and locktite standard so you would need access to a torque wrench and some sort of locktite type product. The most complex part of the process was using the Motion Pro chain tool the first time. After the first time, not a big deal.

The big pain of the whole deal for riders of a certain age is laying on the ground to do some of your work. Moreover, if you don't have a centerstand this whole process becomes a little more complicated. I bought one of these http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-aluminum-wheel-crate-workstand-three-crate.html. Not only does this stand work but it stores well. Additionally, this work stand not only serves that purpose but it works great as a wash stand that gets your bike up where you can get to places you could only see laying on the ground to see. My bikes have never been cleaner. Afterwards the stand cleans up easily and goes next to the wall. Easy peasy.

Hope this helps.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
#71,449 Life

You can do it

Hello,

Thanks for your input.

I am by no means a mechanically gifted individual and have replaced both my front and rear sprockets along with my chain on my '06 Dakar. It's not a tough job. Plus I was able to gear down the front sprocket from a 16 tooth to 15 to make the bike handle a little better at slow speeds. Neither of these jobs presented any difficulties. You can do this with simple tools and a workspace.
Good Luck.

G650 Chain

Get a D.I.D. 520VM or 520VM Gold on E-bay for about $80 and a set of JT STEEL sprockets for about $50-$60 for both, also on Ebay. A chain breaker/ rivet tool is about $25-$35 there as well. Ebay is your friend! Not a hard job at all. You will need a new lock washer for the countershaft sprocket, most likely only available from a dealer but inexpensive. You CAN reuse it but I wouldn't recommend it. I've NEVER used Locktite on the front and the bent over lock washer has never failed in almost 100K miles. Rear sprocket always gets Locktite. The 520VM is a much stronger chain than stock 520V. I get about 30-35K out of them. Lube them with ATF. Do NOT use chain wax or grease on anything you will ride on gravel, dirt or off road. Grit sticks to it and creates an abrasive that eats chains and sprockets. FWIW, my rear sprocket is approaching 40K and still looks good. I credit the ATF for that. Most of us Chain Gang folks have been using it almost exclusively for years.

done

Yes, I did get it done - Knopf Tours (where I store the bike) had the needed tools including a chain break. First ride on the 650 was a 1500 mild jaunt through Switzerland and the Alps in France. Incredible fuel economy and a pleasure in the mountains. Side stand did collapse, but Sport Moto in Barcolenette, France did the job good as new.

Back