• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Rattling noise from front of bike

mcgregor.family

Hello everyone. I'm hoping someone can help me diagnose a strange noise from the front of my 2013 K1600GTL. It is a metallic "rattling" sound that is driving me crazy. It handles and brakes just fine, and a casual inspection has revealed no obvious damage. I've put it up on the centre stand and had a buddy spin the front wheel which turns fine with no obvious resistance. Pushing down on the handlebars when the bike is stopped SOMETIMES replicates the sound, but not always. It generally occurs while riding.

Any ideas? I'd be greatful for any suggestions. I've ridden 1,000 miles to get to the rally in Salt Lake CIty and am planning to ride twice that distance to get home, so I want to make sure the bike is safe.

(PS. I'm wondering if it could be front spring-related???)

Thanks. I'm a newbie on this forum. I tried searching for similar posts but couldn't find anything like you suggested :-(

The search function does not work well here.
If nobody replies here with a solution, there's a K1600 forum that may be able to help.
If you spot someone at the rally with a K1600, ask them if they are familiar with the noise.

Have fun at the rally.

The search function does not work well here.
If nobody replies here with a solution, there's a K1600 forum that may be able to help.
If you spot someone at the rally with a K1600, ask them if they are familiar with the noise.

Have fun at the rally.

Thanks again, Lee. Funny you should suggest asking someone else ... I bumped into a pair of guys already (but no luck yet haha).

Cheers!

squeaks

Hey Mac, I have squeaks in front end of my 1600. Doesn't drive me crazy because I'm already there . Sounds like others have had the same. I am not a forum junkie so if this has been addressed b4, so sorry, , Maybe a update?? Thx

Floyd

Mine noise sounds like the ferring underneath the motor in coming loose. It is driving me crazy!,

There is a known issue with a squeaking front end on some bikes. Solution is to spray some lubricant up around the front shock area. Check out the k1600 forum and search for a lot of details about it.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

rattling - yes

I have a similar rattle that I only hear if i forget to use my normal ear plugs. Not certain, but I think I have traced it to the door above the GPS. It does not close completely flat and has a little play in it. I suspect the wind is buffeting it at times. I may try using masking tape to temporarily hold it steady and see if the noise goes away.

Back