Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: BMWMOA ON Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Facebook BMW MOA is free......what more could you ask for.
    ON
    That's really a quandary. Facebook provides the MOA with "exposure" - important in the digital age, but it does very little to encourage membership. Is there a secret plan on how to convert Facebook views into membership gains? Is it even possible (not clear to me it is..) What do other clubs/organizations do with Facebook?
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders
    '12 R1200R - I love this bike!

1) FB provides exposure for no financial cost. Privacy "cost" is a different issue.

2) The Forum provides a fairly structured information exchange. Not reviewed technical info, but real-time info exchange in a moderated environment. For a non-member, the contents are available to read. Members can post.

3) We have regional and the national rally. Local clubs have events/rally's.

4) Some "Auto club - style" roadside programs available at premium costs.

So, we have exposure and some benefits that may be of value to some riders. But, do we have any fun? I'm wondering if that's our problem?
    Last edited by 36654; 07-20-2017 at 11:04 AM.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
    That's really a quandary. Facebook provides the MOA with "exposure" - important in the digital age, but it does very little to encourage membership. Is there a secret plan on how to convert Facebook views into membership gains? Is it even possible (not clear to me it is..) What do other clubs/organizations do with Facebook?
    Quandary? I see it as "monkey see, monkey do".
    Example-
    National Rifle Association is a group supporting a singular cause and I would be willing to bet belonging to their Facebook group has to do with support of that cause. I don't think they have their own forum.
    I would be curious to see how many riders of BMW motorcycles join to support BMW? My guess is that joining the BMW MOA is for the social aspects.
    I see this as a core difference in the organizational use of Facebook. As 36654 mentioned, the privacy that is given up in soooooo many ways with Facebook is astounding and growing exponentially.
    Anybody remember the old saying "Why buy the cow when you are getting the milk for free"? I'm afraid that the proliferation of FB is really to sell ads.......Further, when you see the tv news about a crime that the whole area is concerned about, ever notice they want the public help through the newscasts web site? It's all about the clicks.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Rock throwing distance from Home Despot HQ

Well, here I go again...

When ON is on, it is pretty good. When ON is off, well....follows is an example...
    Several months ago the EIC gave a shout out to some guy who had been a writer for The Nation. Whats next: a homage to the Symbionese Liberation Army?
    Hey Editor, can I get a shout out published for some guy who rides a BMW AND writes for National Rifleman? A simple yes or no will do. And tell the truth.

I miss classifieds, too. But then I miss Cycle and Cycle Guide. And Facebook is only for family stuff. Period.

Other Random thoughts:
    The best mag out there now is Rider. Now there is a sentence I thought I'd never write!

Finally, I wish Bonnier would just go ahead and finish killing off Cycle World and Motorcyclist. They were good, solid bike mags with talented writers.

And Really Really finally... Mag covers I'd like to see:
    BOBBING FOR BOBBERS!!!!
    BAGGER WEIGH IN!!!!!

Douglas Williams

Sos

Same Old Story. Maybe I'm just having deja vu, but I swear this same complaint has come up every few years. I get Rider and Cycle World as well as the MOA. If I spend more than 20 minutes on any of them before tossing, it's because I found a really good story or I fell asleep, usually the later. It's a magazine; little something for everyone and not enough for all.

Doug
    Sent from a Galaxy, far, far away

Quote Originally Posted by DocZ View Post
    The best mag out there now is Rider. Now there is a sentence I thought I'd never write!
    [/U][/B]
    I thought so too until I started reading Motorcycle Consumer News. That is the only mag where I never miss a single word. All ad free!!!

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by DocZ View Post
    Finally, I wish Bonnier would just go ahead and finish killing off Cycle World and Motorcyclist. They were good, solid bike mags with talented writers.
    Be careful what you wish for. Fewer magazines about our sport is not a good thing.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by crna59 View Post
    I thought so too until I started reading Motorcycle Consumer News. That is the only mag where I never miss a single word. All ad free!!!

MCN is the only motorcycle magazine that I pay for. Consistently good.
    MOA #107139

Cool

Used to subscribe to MCN. But they're getting a little 'preachy,' thinking that because they accept no advertising dollars, only their opinions should be considered valid.

Not always the case.

Enjoy RIDER and ROAD RUNNER the most.
    Kevin Greenwald - MSF Lead RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    Motorcycle/High Performance/Teen/Winter Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

Don't worry, be happy!

Providing content that appeals to all BMW motorcycle owners today has to be a near impossible task, certainly much harder than it was 30 years ago when everyone rode essentially the same type of bike.

The MOA's successful origins were primarily in support of motorcycle sport-touring, camping, and maintenance activities. It's difficult to say what interests or channels the MOA should follow in the future but attempting to be all things to all people is likely a hopeless path. Should the focus be on local or international touring, racing, dirt biking or (coming soon) bagger cruising/bar hopping or something else entirely? Maybe the MOA WILL try to appeal to everyone, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Imagine for example, if the very successful GWRRA were to try to attract and retain Africa Twin, Helix scooter, and Fury v-twin owners as members and even attempt to make Honda car owners feel welcome as well. Think about it, the result would probably please no one. As such I believe any club based solely on a brand is not likely to generate much long-term enthusiasm from its members/subscribers and is probably doomed to mediocrity at best.

I'll be happy as long as there are camping rallies and occasional tech articles in the mag. The other stuff is certainly easy enough to simply ignore. The only people that really need to be concerned about whether membership is growing or shrinking are those whose salaries and travel budgets depend on club revenue. For the rest of us, membership numbers don't have much affect.

The latest ON magazine made my day. Back on page 77 was an advertisement for the Finger Lakes Rally and it had a picture of what looks like an F800GT in orange.

I'm stoked. To be finally noticed in the ON magazine is so cool!

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder
    John 14:6