• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tires?

EUGENE

I have a f800st for tire replacement should I get pilot road3 or road4? 95% solo riding about 2000 miles a year and NW weather.

FWIW, I had the PR4s on my Honda NT700V. They lasted for about 20,000 miles. I had them on for 17,000 miles and fully expected them to last another 3,000 miles. Wet traction was fine. No issues. I did have some concerns on hard packed snow...but I'm not sure any tire would feel any better.

I've had the "oppportunity" to test both the Metzeler Roadtec 01 and Dunlop Roadsmart III tires that were designed to perform better than the PR4 in wet traction and tire longevity.

I replaced the Metzeler Z8s on my GT with Metzeler Roadtec 01s. They felt great while on the bike. I took a 4000 mile trip in June to Utah and found them great for wet traction and dry traction. The feel of the tires as you fell into a turn was great. Unfortunately, I found they wore out in 6000 miles. I'm not sure I can blame the tires though. My 20,000 miles on the PR4s was in Puget Sound. The 6000 miles I put on the Metzeler Roadtec 01s was on the trip to Utah. The roads had a lot of "chip seal" that isn't used as much in Puget Sound and is extremely hard on tires. The sides of the tires were wearing okay. But the middle was worn out to the tread wear indicators.

I replaced the Metzeler tires in Rapid City, SD. The tires the dealership had on hand were the Dunlop Roadsmart IIIs...another tire that has recently come out and designed to compete specifically with the Michelin PR4. The feel as you fall into a corner isn't quite as good as the Metzeler Roadtec 01...but it isn't bad at all. We're talking about the difference of getting a 95 versus a 99 on a test. Both are "A's". Just one is slightly better and it is totally subjective in this case. I've put about 2000 miles on the tires in the last week or so. They seem to be wearing better than the Metzeler. There's not much wear at all in the miles it took to ride back from Spearfish SD through Banff and back to Seattle.

So the Dunlop Roadsmart III tires might be a consideration for you. With the few miles you're riding, you could go with any of the tires and be happy.

Chris

Back