• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Disengaging the cruise control

Dp1guzzi

MOA 27106
Re: 2017 R1200RT
I know that I can disengage the cruise control by tapping the brake, gently squeezing the front brake or the clutch, rolling the throttle to the max or actually sliding the switch off. I ride with the switch always in "on" position and I disengage by rolling the throttle to max. My question is: is my technique in any way harmful to the bike, and is there a "best" method?

I don't think you will "damage" anything with your technique but it can be done a little more smoothly if you roll on a little throttle while tapping the rear brake.

Re: 2017 R1200RT
I know that I can disengage the cruise control by tapping the brake, gently squeezing the front brake or the clutch, rolling the throttle to the max or actually sliding the switch off. I ride with the switch always in "on" position and I disengage by rolling the throttle to max. My question is: is my technique in any way harmful to the bike, and is there a "best" method?

Don - As do you, I always have the CC switch in the on position. I don't think there's a "best" way to disengage the CC. BMW built it with three alternatives, and I'm sure each is OK. I like the throttle-rolling method myself, FWIW.

I find that a very short flick of the clutch lever is the smoothest way to disengage, if simply resuming manual throttle control is my intent. The switch activates before any pressure builds. I don't like to flash the brake light when I'm not braking and rolling the throttle shut usually causes a more drastic speed change than I want.

Rolling the throttle past idle to kill cruise control leads to engine braking which I try to avoid when exiting cruise control. It is okay if you need to slow down suddenly, but then I am on the brakes anyway. If I just want to resume manual control with minimal immediate impact on speed, for example approaching a freeway exit, I usually apply a little throttle at the same time that I kill cruise control with one of the other techniques. I have been either touching a brake or turning cruise control off. I like the idea of just touching the clutch lever and will try that instead.

Roll the throttle past idle and snap it back to assumed position for current riding speed, not always accurate but can be done smoothly.

I find that a very short flick of the clutch lever is the smoothest way to disengage, if simply resuming manual throttle control is my intent. The switch activates before any pressure builds. I don't like to flash the brake light when I'm not braking and rolling the throttle shut usually causes a more drastic speed change than I want.

+1

Why would you send a 'false signal' to traffic behind you that you might be braking?

Slight engagement of the clutch lever seems to me to be the safest method, rather than an unnecessary brake light or max throttle.

90% of the time I roll the throttle forward. It is already at the "idle" position when cruise is activated. So just a short movement forward or "below" idle it is disengaged and I am already in position to roll it back on. Don't notice a rough transition? I sometimes just flip the c/c switch to off, especially if I know I won't be using it for a while afterwards.

+1 on rolling the throttle forward slightly, then back to maintain current speed. I've got it down to where it is very smooth and quick and I don't have to grope around for the switch or clutch lever.

This is how I did it on my K1200RS and do the same on my R1200RS.
I tried all the methods and the quick tap of the clutch lever is the smoothest for me.

There is one more way of disengaging the cruise control, but only if you have Shift Assist...just shift up or down and don't touch anything else.

Funny... just back from my last trip (1600 miles to MT and back). Tried all options except the rolling the throttle. Which as I write this would not seem to be my preference for disengagement. I prefer tap clutch + a little throttle - feels the smoothest to me. Taping the brakes, for me is too herky-jerky and if you are riding with your mates, they will get a brake light presented to them when you're not really braking.

BTW, my habit is to ride with the CC slider on all the time.

I roll on throttle to equal cruise set speed then pull clutch lever just enough for switch activation; as a result, smooth transition between cruise to wrist throttle control. No brake lights or engine speed mismatch lurches.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

On my 2003 K1200RS I just roll off the throttle for a quick flick. Just a quick rotation does it and generally doesn't slow the bike at all if you do it quick.

Bought the bike from my uncle and figured this out on the test ride. Mentioned it to him and he had no idea that worked... He always just hit the grip lever a little.

The manual says, and it's what I've always done to great effect, to just twist the throttle forward quickly and then back.

Smooth disengagement, no brake lights. I believe that's how it was designed.

The manual says, and it's what I've always done to great effect, to just twist the throttle forward quickly and then back.

My R1200RS manual say

Deactivating cruisecontrol
system
Actuate brakes, clutch or throttle
grip

Back