Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Disengaging the cruise control

Quote Originally Posted by Realshelby View Post
    flaring the rpms by pulling the clutch lever just seems crude. .
    There's no change to the RPM. You're not pulling in the clutch, just give it enough of a tap to trigger the micro switch.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

My US 2016 R1200RTW throttle twisting---on or off---doesn't release cruise set.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    John Sherman
    Tacoma WA USA
    2016 R120RT
    ////

Quote Originally Posted by johnesherman View Post
    I roll on throttle to equal cruise set speed then pull clutch lever just enough for switch activation; as a result, smooth transition between cruise to wrist throttle control. No brake lights or engine speed mismatch lurches.

This exactly the smoothest method I've found.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

You can speed up without canceling the cruise just like with a car but it should cancel when you fully close the throttle.
    Try giving it a little more effort when you close the throttle.
    If that doesn't work have the dealer check it out.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

You have to twist definitively PAST off to disengage cruise control on your '16 unless something amiss with it. If you do it real fast you can avoid any lurch or mismatched speed issues--it's real easy to master once you understand how it works.

I roll on throttle to equal cruise set speed then pull clutch lever just enough for switch activation; as a result, smooth transition between cruise to wrist throttle control. No brake lights or engine speed mismatch lurches.

Exactly what I do...by far the smoothest method..your pillion will never even notice.
    I roll on the throttle just a touch then pull.the clutch in ever so slightly to disengage the c/c!

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

I'll be darn, you can teach this old dog new tricks. I went on a ride yesterday and decided to try this technique. I've always just snapped the throttle forward then quickly back. The clutch technique as described works great and now I have 2 techniques. The key to the clutch technique is to only pull the lever very slightly.
    Steve
    2016 R1200RT San Marino Blue Metalic

Quote Originally Posted by garesnare View Post
    Exactly what I do...by far the smoothest method..your pillion will never even notice.
    I roll on the throttle just a touch then pull.the clutch in ever so slightly to disengage the c/c!

I find the designed-in method, the rapid push past off and back, to be 100% smooth once mastered, which took just a couple tries.

Quote Originally Posted by ncpbmw1953 View Post
    You have to twist definitively PAST off to disengage cruise control on your '16 unless something amiss with it. If you do it real fast you can avoid any lurch or mismatched speed issues--it's real easy to master once you understand how it works.
    I tried it today and learned something.
    The throttle feels like it's against the stop but there is a little bit of play, almost as if you push against a short spring.
    It does however disengage the cruise.
    Pat

Ride Safe!
    '16 RT

Learned that rolling off throttle beyond idle stop return spring limit does disable cruise control set. Always something new learned every day riding beyond not letting the bike fall over and rest ;-) Thanks for the knowledge everybody.

John Sherman
    Tacoma WA USA
    2016 R120RT
    ////

Quote Originally Posted by zenwhipper View Post
    Funny... just back from my last trip (1600 miles to MT and back). Tried all options except the rolling the throttle. Which as I write this would not seem to be my preference for disengagement. I prefer tap clutch + a little throttle - feels the smoothest to me. Taping the brakes, for me is too herky-jerky and if you are riding with your mates, they will get a brake light presented to them when you're not really braking.

BTW, my habit is to ride with the CC slider on all the time.
    +1 on this clutch / throttle method...
    Motorcycling is my passion because golf is far too dangerous!
    2016 R1200GSW

Addicted to windshields Realshelby's Avatar
    Was out on the road testing a windshield and decided ( with an open mind ) to test all methods for releasing cruise control.

You can tap the brake while holding open the throttle a bit and there is a smooth transition. If you are slowing for some reason, and will be using the brake, this is going to be the way to go. But to do this to release c/c might be less than ideal as you are flashing brake lights to those behind you.

You can turn it off with the switch. You can hold the throttle and make that a smooth transition.

You actually can feather the clutch lever just right and not allow the clutch to slip or rpms to flare up. Not all that hard to master, but it does take a bit of precision to do. Holding the throttle open makes this a smooth transition.

You can roll the throttle forward to release c/c. If you leave the throttle at idle you do have compression braking of course. But, if you roll it forward and immediately back to "power" it is just as smooth as any other method. There must be a slight delay built into release of the throttle plates as this is just as smooth as any method I tried. Since your hand is usually already on the throttle, I see no advantage to using the other methods. More effort for the same result. Try it and see if it works as well as it does for me.

Quote Originally Posted by jpl77 View Post
    This exactly the smoothest method I've found.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Absolutely!

Quote Originally Posted by Realshelby View Post
    if you roll it forward and immediately back to "power" it is just as smooth as any other method. There must be a slight delay built into release of the throttle plates as this is just as smooth as any method I tried. Since your hand is usually already on the throttle, I see no advantage to using the other methods. More effort for the same result. Try it and see if it works as well as it does for me.
    That was my take--essentially just a rapid blip past full roll off and return to prior throttle and you will do it completely smoothly. I wish I knew that on my 9.1K mile last year!