Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Disengaging the cruise control

Disengaging the cruise control

Re: 2017 R1200RT
    I know that I can disengage the cruise control by tapping the brake, gently squeezing the front brake or the clutch, rolling the throttle to the max or actually sliding the switch off. I ride with the switch always in "on" position and I disengage by rolling the throttle to max. My question is: is my technique in any way harmful to the bike, and is there a "best" method?

I don't think you will "damage" anything with your technique but it can be done a little more smoothly if you roll on a little throttle while tapping the rear brake.
    MOA #107139
    RA #28511

No best method that I am aware of. I usually roll the throttle forward.

Quote Originally Posted by DONPRICE View Post
    Re: 2017 R1200RT
    I know that I can disengage the cruise control by tapping the brake, gently squeezing the front brake or the clutch, rolling the throttle to the max or actually sliding the switch off. I ride with the switch always in "on" position and I disengage by rolling the throttle to max. My question is: is my technique in any way harmful to the bike, and is there a "best" method?
    Don - As do you, I always have the CC switch in the on position. I don't think there's a "best" way to disengage the CC. BMW built it with three alternatives, and I'm sure each is OK. I like the throttle-rolling method myself, FWIW.
    John Gamel
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    BMW CCA 2006 - Present; BMW MOA 2009-Present
    Walt Kelly: "We have met the enemy, and he is us."

I find that a very short flick of the clutch lever is the smoothest way to disengage, if simply resuming manual throttle control is my intent. The switch activates before any pressure builds. I don't like to flash the brake light when I'm not braking and rolling the throttle shut usually causes a more drastic speed change than I want.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

Rolling the throttle past idle to kill cruise control leads to engine braking which I try to avoid when exiting cruise control. It is okay if you need to slow down suddenly, but then I am on the brakes anyway. If I just want to resume manual control with minimal immediate impact on speed, for example approaching a freeway exit, I usually apply a little throttle at the same time that I kill cruise control with one of the other techniques. I have been either touching a brake or turning cruise control off. I like the idea of just touching the clutch lever and will try that instead.
    Will
    MOA #2607 - 2015 R1200R Cordoba Blue
    Previous: 1999 R1100RT Tundra Green • 1987 R100RT Grey • 1970 R60/5 Black • 196? Honda 305 Super Hawk • 195? Sears Allstate 50 cc Moped

Roll the throttle past idle and snap it back to assumed position for current riding speed, not always accurate but can be done smoothly.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by lkraus View Post
    I find that a very short flick of the clutch lever is the smoothest way to disengage, if simply resuming manual throttle control is my intent. The switch activates before any pressure builds. I don't like to flash the brake light when I'm not braking and rolling the throttle shut usually causes a more drastic speed change than I want.
    +1

Why would you send a 'false signal' to traffic behind you that you might be braking?

Slight engagement of the clutch lever seems to me to be the safest method, rather than an unnecessary brake light or max throttle.
    Kevin Greenwald - MSF Lead RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    Motorcycle/High Performance/Teen/Winter/ATV Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Track

Addicted to windshields Realshelby's Avatar
    90% of the time I roll the throttle forward. It is already at the "idle" position when cruise is activated. So just a short movement forward or "below" idle it is disengaged and I am already in position to roll it back on. Don't notice a rough transition? I sometimes just flip the c/c switch to off, especially if I know I won't be using it for a while afterwards.

+1 on rolling the throttle forward slightly, then back to maintain current speed. I've got it down to where it is very smooth and quick and I don't have to grope around for the switch or clutch lever.
    Steve
    2016 R1200RT San Marino Blue Metalic

Quote Originally Posted by lkraus View Post
    This is how I did it on my K1200RS and do the same on my R1200RS.
    I tried all the methods and the quick tap of the clutch lever is the smoothest for me.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

There is one more way of disengaging the cruise control, but only if you have Shift Assist...just shift up or down and don't touch anything else.
    John Gamel
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    BMW CCA 2006 - Present; BMW MOA 2009-Present
    Walt Kelly: "We have met the enemy, and he is us."

Funny... just back from my last trip (1600 miles to MT and back). Tried all options except the rolling the throttle. Which as I write this would not seem to be my preference for disengagement. I prefer tap clutch + a little throttle - feels the smoothest to me. Taping the brakes, for me is too herky-jerky and if you are riding with your mates, they will get a brake light presented to them when you're not really braking.

BTW, my habit is to ride with the CC slider on all the time.
    “I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.”- Mark Twain
    Past bikes: 2001 Kawa ZR750S, 2002 VFR, 2006 V-Strom, 2008 FJR

Thanks all. I appreciate your opinions. I think I'll go with tapping the clutch lever.

I roll on throttle to equal cruise set speed then pull clutch lever just enough for switch activation; as a result, smooth transition between cruise to wrist throttle control. No brake lights or engine speed mismatch lurches.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    John Sherman
    Tacoma WA USA
    2016 R120RT
    ////