Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hotel suggestions within walking distance

Quote Originally Posted by scootrp125x View Post
    Thanks for the info. Would you happen to know what a ticket costs from the hotels nearest to the fairgrounds? ...
    From the info on the web site, it looks like a one-way fare is $1.25 for seniors (65+), $2.50 otherwise. I believe you can get the tickets from a machine at each stop. From what I can see, the SLC light rail is pretty much like the Phoenix system, even the cars look similar, and that's the way it works. I'll be finding out tomorrow...I'm flying in from Phoenix and plan to take the rail from the airport & to & from the rally.

We lived in Pgh (Westview, to be precise) in the 60's & used to ride the streetcars, which I understand are no more. Don't remember the fare but it was probably much less than now.
    2004 R1150RT
    BMW MOA 181289

Quote Originally Posted by excdnguy View Post
    ... You can walk to the Fairpark from downtown but some of the areas near the Fairpark are a bit sketchy ...
    How about the area west of the Fairpark? Is it safe to walk around there?
    2004 R1150RT
    BMW MOA 181289

Quote Originally Posted by markaz View Post
    From the info on the web site, it looks like a one-way fare is $1.25 for seniors (65+), $2.50 otherwise. I believe you can get the tickets from a machine at each stop. From what I can see, the SLC light rail is pretty much like the Phoenix system, even the cars look similar, and that's the way it works. I'll be finding out tomorrow...I'm flying in from Phoenix and plan to take the rail from the airport & to & from the rally.

We lived in Pgh (Westview, to be precise) in the 60's & used to ride the streetcars, which I understand are no more. Don't remember the fare but it was probably much less than now.
    Pittsburgh has a light rail to the southern suburbs "South Hills". As a newcomer there I didn't know that you put exact change $2.50 into the box by the driver, similar to a bus. And you are paid when you got on an inbound train and you paid when you exited the outbound train. Fortunately the locals watched out for newbies and out of towners.
    04 R1150RT

Quote Originally Posted by markaz View Post
    How about the area west of the Fairpark? Is it safe to walk around there?
    I was told the area by the Radisson was good. I believe it is between the airport and Fairpark. The other direction is not too good.
    04 R1150RT

Thanks for the info. Would you happen to know what a ticket costs from the hotels nearest to the fairgrounds? That would be the Radisson and Comfort Suites. Do we buy tickets from a person or machine? Is exact change required or is any denomination ok? I used to live in Pittsburgh and you had to have exact change but in Boston I could buy a ticket from a person or the machine.
    I don't know the exact cost but you would purchase from a kiosk machine on the platform. Usually plastic works as well as cash.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________________
    After 27 (long) years off I'm back to riding - finally! Just bought a new 2017 F700GS in "Racing Red" - Loving it!

I was told the area by the Radisson was good. I believe it is between the airport and Fairpark. The other direction is not too good.
    West of the Fairpark is kinda a dead zone and gets more industrial before the Raddison. More uninhabited than not but like parts east of the Fairpark going toward downtown some are a bit rough. In general SLC is fairly safe but we do have a growing homeless issue so you do have some desperate folks that will do whatever they have to in order to survive. Not judging, just being honest.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________________
    After 27 (long) years off I'm back to riding - finally! Just bought a new 2017 F700GS in "Racing Red" - Loving it!

Take an Uber.

Sent from my XT1094 using Tapatalk