• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Hotel suggestions within walking distance

scootrp125x

They call me Gort
I was planning on camping at the rally but am considering getting a hotel room.
I would appreciate any suggestions. I am on the road and have limited computer search ability but can check out any suggestions on my phone. Thanks in advance.
Mark

Use Google

Mark,

Fire up Google Maps, go to SLC and type in Lodging.

You will see a list as well as their locations.

Drill down to the Rally location and you'll see the hotels/motels in the immediate area.

Click on one and go to it's web site. Type in the dates you plan to be there and see if a room is available.

Good luck.

Deryle & Wanda Mehrten
Sierra Vista, AZ USA

Thanks. That works but I didn't know what the areas around the Fair Park were like.
I called the Fair Park offices and they steered me towards the airport side of the grounds for a better (safer) area. There are a Comfort Inn , Raddison and Motel 6 which all seem to have rooms. They might be within walking distance but the Trax rail line is supposed to be about a five minute walk from these hotels and it goes to a station at the fairgrounds. It also goes to the airport in the other direction if that helps anyone flying in. I was told it's the green line.

I called the Fair Park offices and they steered me towards the airport side of the grounds for a better (safer) area. There are a Comfort Inn , Raddison and Motel 6 which all seem to have rooms. They might be within walking distance but the Trax rail line is supposed to be about a five minute walk from these hotels and it goes to a station at the fairgrounds.

Google shows 1.9 mile walk from the Comfort Inn near the Airport to the east side of the Fairpark. I don't know where the rally gate is.
Besides the train, it looks like there is a bus route that's near the motels and goes by the Fairpark.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/40....1422b!2m2!1d-111.950559!2d40.773325!3e2?hl=en

Thanks Lee. I chose the Comfort Inn too. The nice people at the Fair Park didn't think that was a walking distance but it looks good to me as long as there are sidewalks. Of course it's going to be 100 degrees and that's why I'm getting a hotel room. Time will tell. See you there.

Google shows 1.9 mile walk from the Comfort Inn near the Airport to the east side of the Fairpark. I don't know where the rally gate is.
Besides the train, it looks like there is a bus route that's near the motels and goes by the Fairpark.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/40....1422b!2m2!1d-111.950559!2d40.773325!3e2?hl=en

<iframe src="https://www.google.com/maps/embed?pb=!1m26!1m12!1m3!1d13564.870701537147!2d-111.94511845280564!3d40.778925826527015!2m3!1f0!2f0!3f0!3m2!1i1024!2i768!4f13.1!4m11!3e2!4m3!3m2!1d40.7737723!2d-111.9198078!4m5!1s0x0%3A0xac0468a4a801422b!2sComfort+Suites+Airport!3m2!1d40.773325!2d-111.950559!5e0!3m2!1sen!2sus!4v1499728610136" width="600" height="450" frameborder="0" style="border:0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thanks Lee. I chose the Comfort Inn too. The nice people at the Fair Park didn't think that was a walking distance but it looks good to me as long as there are sidewalks..

When I switch to satellite view and zoom in, there appears to be good sidewalks. Looks like you can walk under the interstate bridge.

I could use a walk. Left Dallas Wednesday and am riding to the rally via Colorado, Wyoming and SD. More riding than I have done in years but it's been great so far.

All of downtown and its hotels are essentially within walking distance, given the Trax and bus connections there. Downtown is a "free zone" area on Trax but a ticket is required once you leave the free zone. For the airport hotels, both Trax and bus service run out to that complex. The fairpark Trax stop puts you just a block or so from gate 6 on the south side of the fairpark.

Best,
DZg

All of downtown and its hotels are essentially within walking distance, given the Trax and bus connections there. Downtown is a "free zone" area on Trax but a ticket is required once you leave the free zone. For the airport hotels, both Trax and bus service run out to that complex. The fairpark Trax stop puts you just a block or so from gate 6 on the south side of the fairpark.

Best,
DZg

Thanks for the good info!

The Trax light rail also provides access to the larger FrontRunner train system. You could literally have a room in Ogden and use the trains to get to/from Fairpark.

Best,
DZg

Thanks for providing that info.

The Trax light rail also provides access to the larger FrontRunner train system. You could literally have a room in Ogden and use the trains to get to/from Fairpark.

If nothing else, we have a marvelous light rail and commuter train (Frontrunner) system, thanks to the initial capital that came from the 2002 Olympics. It is really convenient and you can take Frontrunner 50 miles north or south so it opens up hotel possibilities. You can walk to the Fairpark from downtown but some of the areas near the Fairpark are a bit sketchy. We are working on that (using "we" as a city planner who works for Salt Lake City) but we have a ways to go. If you look at the UTA - Utah Transit Authority website, there are lots of pass options. I think you can buy a week pass for about $35. If you need a break, the train trip to Ogden is relaxing and there are numerous good eating and drinking establishments on historic 25th Street in Ogden. Also a cool little Browning firearms museum at the Ogden train station since John Moses Browning was born in Ogden, if that's of interest.
Lots of options. Have fun!

If nothing else, we have a marvelous light rail and commuter train (Frontrunner) system, thanks to the initial capital that came from the 2002 Olympics. It is really convenient and you can take Frontrunner 50 miles north or south so it opens up hotel possibilities. You can walk to the Fairpark from downtown but some of the areas near the Fairpark are a bit sketchy. We are working on that (using "we" as a city planner who works for Salt Lake City) but we have a ways to go. If you look at the UTA - Utah Transit Authority website, there are lots of pass options. I think you can buy a week pass for about $35. If you need a break, the train trip to Ogden is relaxing and there are numerous good eating and drinking establishments on historic 25th Street in Ogden. Also a cool little Browning firearms museum at the Ogden train station since John Moses Browning was born in Ogden, if that's of interest.
Lots of options. Have fun!

Thanks for the info. Would you happen to know what a ticket costs from the hotels nearest to the fairgrounds? That would be the Radisson and Comfort Suites. Do we buy tickets from a person or machine? Is exact change required or is any denomination ok? I used to live in Pittsburgh and you had to have exact change but in Boston I could buy a ticket from a person or the machine.

Thanks for the info. Would you happen to know what a ticket costs from the hotels nearest to the fairgrounds? ...

From the info on the web site, it looks like a one-way fare is $1.25 for seniors (65+), $2.50 otherwise. I believe you can get the tickets from a machine at each stop. From what I can see, the SLC light rail is pretty much like the Phoenix system, even the cars look similar, and that's the way it works. I'll be finding out tomorrow...I'm flying in from Phoenix and plan to take the rail from the airport & to & from the rally.

We lived in Pgh (Westview, to be precise) in the 60's & used to ride the streetcars, which I understand are no more. Don't remember the fare but it was probably much less than now.

From the info on the web site, it looks like a one-way fare is $1.25 for seniors (65+), $2.50 otherwise. I believe you can get the tickets from a machine at each stop. From what I can see, the SLC light rail is pretty much like the Phoenix system, even the cars look similar, and that's the way it works. I'll be finding out tomorrow...I'm flying in from Phoenix and plan to take the rail from the airport & to & from the rally.

We lived in Pgh (Westview, to be precise) in the 60's & used to ride the streetcars, which I understand are no more. Don't remember the fare but it was probably much less than now.

Pittsburgh has a light rail to the southern suburbs "South Hills". As a newcomer there I didn't know that you put exact change $2.50 into the box by the driver, similar to a bus. And you are paid when you got on an inbound train and you paid when you exited the outbound train. Fortunately the locals watched out for newbies and out of towners.

Thanks for the info. Would you happen to know what a ticket costs from the hotels nearest to the fairgrounds? That would be the Radisson and Comfort Suites. Do we buy tickets from a person or machine? Is exact change required or is any denomination ok? I used to live in Pittsburgh and you had to have exact change but in Boston I could buy a ticket from a person or the machine.

I don't know the exact cost but you would purchase from a kiosk machine on the platform. Usually plastic works as well as cash.

Back