Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hotel suggestions within walking distance

Hotel suggestions within walking distance

I was planning on camping at the rally but am considering getting a hotel room.
    I would appreciate any suggestions. I am on the road and have limited computer search ability but can check out any suggestions on my phone. Thanks in advance.
    Mark
    04 R1150RT

Use Google

Mark,

Fire up Google Maps, go to SLC and type in Lodging.

You will see a list as well as their locations.

Drill down to the Rally location and you'll see the hotels/motels in the immediate area.

Click on one and go to it's web site. Type in the dates you plan to be there and see if a room is available.

Good luck.

Deryle & Wanda Mehrten
    Sierra Vista, AZ USA

Thanks. That works but I didn't know what the areas around the Fair Park were like.
    I called the Fair Park offices and they steered me towards the airport side of the grounds for a better (safer) area. There are a Comfort Inn , Raddison and Motel 6 which all seem to have rooms. They might be within walking distance but the Trax rail line is supposed to be about a five minute walk from these hotels and it goes to a station at the fairgrounds. It also goes to the airport in the other direction if that helps anyone flying in. I was told it's the green line.
    04 R1150RT

Quote Originally Posted by scootrp125x View Post
    I called the Fair Park offices and they steered me towards the airport side of the grounds for a better (safer) area. There are a Comfort Inn , Raddison and Motel 6 which all seem to have rooms. They might be within walking distance but the Trax rail line is supposed to be about a five minute walk from these hotels and it goes to a station at the fairgrounds.
    Google shows 1.9 mile walk from the Comfort Inn near the Airport to the east side of the Fairpark. I don't know where the rally gate is.
    Besides the train, it looks like there is a bus route that's near the motels and goes by the Fairpark.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/40.7...3325!3e2?hl=en
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Thanks Lee. I chose the Comfort Inn too. The nice people at the Fair Park didn't think that was a walking distance but it looks good to me as long as there are sidewalks. Of course it's going to be 100 degrees and that's why I'm getting a hotel room. Time will tell. See you there.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Google shows 1.9 mile walk from the Comfort Inn near the Airport to the east side of the Fairpark. I don't know where the rally gate is.
    Besides the train, it looks like there is a bus route that's near the motels and goes by the Fairpark.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/40.7...3325!3e2?hl=en

04 R1150RT

Quote Originally Posted by scootrp125x View Post
    Thanks Lee. I chose the Comfort Inn too. The nice people at the Fair Park didn't think that was a walking distance but it looks good to me as long as there are sidewalks..
    When I switch to satellite view and zoom in, there appears to be good sidewalks. Looks like you can walk under the interstate bridge.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878

I could use a walk. Left Dallas Wednesday and am riding to the rally via Colorado, Wyoming and SD. More riding than I have done in years but it's been great so far.
    04 R1150RT

All of downtown and its hotels are essentially within walking distance, given the Trax and bus connections there. Downtown is a "free zone" area on Trax but a ticket is required once you leave the free zone. For the airport hotels, both Trax and bus service run out to that complex. The fairpark Trax stop puts you just a block or so from gate 6 on the south side of the fairpark.

Best,
    DZg
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST -- 1988 R100GS "Bee"-- 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C -- 2010 K1300GT
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider View Post
    All of downtown and its hotels are essentially within walking distance, given the Trax and bus connections there. Downtown is a "free zone" area on Trax but a ticket is required once you leave the free zone. For the airport hotels, both Trax and bus service run out to that complex. The fairpark Trax stop puts you just a block or so from gate 6 on the south side of the fairpark.

Best,
    DZg
    Thanks for the good info!
    04 R1150RT

The Trax light rail also provides access to the larger FrontRunner train system. You could literally have a room in Ogden and use the trains to get to/from Fairpark.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider View Post

Best,
    DZg
    Thanks for providing that info.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    The Trax light rail also provides access to the larger FrontRunner train system. You could literally have a room in Ogden and use the trains to get to/from Fairpark.
    More good info! Thanks.
    04 R1150RT

Just to clarify--the free-fare zone encompasses the downtown area and reaches to SL Central station. The Fairpark is outside the FF zone, on the Green line, so you'd need to buy a fare. Trax DOES offer a significant discount for those 65 and older.
    HTH and see you at the rally,

https://www.rideuta.com/Fares-And-Passes/Free-Fare-Zone

DG
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST -- 1988 R100GS "Bee"-- 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C -- 2010 K1300GT
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    If nothing else, we have a marvelous light rail and commuter train (Frontrunner) system, thanks to the initial capital that came from the 2002 Olympics. It is really convenient and you can take Frontrunner 50 miles north or south so it opens up hotel possibilities. You can walk to the Fairpark from downtown but some of the areas near the Fairpark are a bit sketchy. We are working on that (using "we" as a city planner who works for Salt Lake City) but we have a ways to go. If you look at the UTA - Utah Transit Authority website, there are lots of pass options. I think you can buy a week pass for about $35. If you need a break, the train trip to Ogden is relaxing and there are numerous good eating and drinking establishments on historic 25th Street in Ogden. Also a cool little Browning firearms museum at the Ogden train station since John Moses Browning was born in Ogden, if that's of interest.
    Lots of options. Have fun!
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________________
    After 27 (long) years off I'm back to riding - finally! Just bought a new 2017 F700GS in "Racing Red" - Loving it!

Quote Originally Posted by excdnguy View Post
    If nothing else, we have a marvelous light rail and commuter train (Frontrunner) system, thanks to the initial capital that came from the 2002 Olympics. It is really convenient and you can take Frontrunner 50 miles north or south so it opens up hotel possibilities. You can walk to the Fairpark from downtown but some of the areas near the Fairpark are a bit sketchy. We are working on that (using "we" as a city planner who works for Salt Lake City) but we have a ways to go. If you look at the UTA - Utah Transit Authority website, there are lots of pass options. I think you can buy a week pass for about $35. If you need a break, the train trip to Ogden is relaxing and there are numerous good eating and drinking establishments on historic 25th Street in Ogden. Also a cool little Browning firearms museum at the Ogden train station since John Moses Browning was born in Ogden, if that's of interest.
    Lots of options. Have fun!
    Thanks for the info. Would you happen to know what a ticket costs from the hotels nearest to the fairgrounds? That would be the Radisson and Comfort Suites. Do we buy tickets from a person or machine? Is exact change required or is any denomination ok? I used to live in Pittsburgh and you had to have exact change but in Boston I could buy a ticket from a person or the machine.
    04 R1150RT