• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

K1200RS 'extra tall' handle bar risers?

aarnvark

My 2003 K1200RS already has a set of risers for the handlebars. At 6ft 6in tall, I'd like another boost both up and back to ease the numbness in my right wrist and hand that results from longer rides.
Any suggestions?

My 2003 K1200RS already has a set of risers for the handlebars. At 6ft 6in tall, I'd like another boost both up and back to ease the numbness in my right wrist and hand that results from longer rides.
Any suggestions?

My suggestion is a cautionary note. You will probably need longer wires, cables, and hoses.

I've got a set of these (see link below) that I don't need. They bring the bars back and up some. According to Suburban Machinery webpage: "Hand position change: 2.7" back - 1.1" higher - 10 degrees less droop."

If interested, PM me your e-mail and I'll send an actual pic. I'd be willing to send them to you to try "gratis." If they work, you can have them (very) cheap. If not, just send them back. Would also be willing to trade straight-up for a set of smaller basic bar risers.

As Paul mentioned, and according to Suburban Machinery product page, you will need a longer brake line. The webpage claims the throttle cables, etc., should be long enough.

https://www.suburban-machinery.com/k1200gtbbT2.htm

Bruce.

Depending upon your budget, this may be an option:
http://www.sierrabmwonline.com/prod...e-handlebar-kit-bmw-k1200rsgt-z120b022-p-2208

I'd prefer that to bolted-up handlebar extensions. If Sierra/Hornig don't have a bar that suits your needs, check Flanders bars--they sell handlebars in a variety of bends and are the correct diameter for BMW control units.

As has been pointed out, you will almost certainly need longer brake and clutch hoses, and throttle cables as well. Once you have your bar height and bend decided upon, check with Tom Cutter at http://www.rubberchickenracinggarage.com for some Spiegler brake/clutch hoses in custom length, and quite probably can help with longer throttle cables as well.

That will solve the bar issue, although at significant cost, but will still leave you with windshield issues to resolve once the new bars straighten you up on the bike.

Good luck, and do post back a description and pics of your ultimate solution!

Best,
DG

I use the LSL bars on my sidecar rig, they are taller and further back, but also change the wrist angle for more comfort. I got mine through spiegler along with the new brake hoses. Clutch hose was fine with some minor re routing. Note: I also used an additional 25 mm riser. Speigler did not have the bolts for this, I got them from Fastenal.
Handlebar 006.jpgHandlebar 005.jpgHandlebar 004.jpg

I don't know how far up and back your current risers are, but I'm 6'1" and have a set of risers or "bar backs" from Pirates lair on my '02 K1200RS. The pair I bought are no longer carried by PL, but they do have several other designs available. But as it was already mentioned, some risers or bar backs will require that you get longer cables/brake/clutch lines to fit correctly.

Having put Superbike bars on my R1100s, I found that there was lots of wire coiled up, once the tank was pulled back, that I could unclip and use. The limiting factor is going to be the hydraulic clutch line and the brake line from the master cylinder. The brake line is easy to source, but the clutch line is unobtainum.

The only real way to know is to try a taller set. Sometimes all it takes is an extra 1/2 ".

No extra wiring or hose length awaits the OP under the Tupperware of the RS......
LT bars and hoses/wiring can also be an option to solve the issue

Back