• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Rear sprocket F800gsa 2017

TJM

have new 2017 f 800 gsa, frt sprocket is 16 and rear is 42. I ride cross country and and RPM is 4500 at 75 mph would like to drop that down and run at 80 mph at around 4000 or just slightly less. I am think a 44 tooth rear gear would get me closer to what I need. Any help out there or suggestions, my first time messing with rear sprockets and charts are helpful but experience best teacher. thanks, TJM 112299

Last edited:
have new 2017 f 800 gsa, frt sprocket is 15 and rear is 47 i think? I ride cross country and and RPM is 4500 at 75 mph would like to drop that down and run at 80 mph at around 4000 or just slightly less. I am think a 44 tooth rear gear would get me closer to what I need. Any help out there or suggestions, my first time messing with rear sprockets and charts are helpful but experience best teacher. thanks, TJM 112299

Why? This appears to me to be putting the top gear into engine-lugging territory. What was your previous bike?

It's not a big expense and just work to try it........With my '09 F800GS, I'm thinking that a 3T change would make a "roll-on" throttle pass a gear dropper. A hard pass would require dropping 2 gears.
Let us know how you make out.
OM

Why? This appears to me to be putting the top gear into engine-lugging territory. What was your previous bike?
Was 2010 r1200 GS rode 4 corners in 2014; idea with 6th gear and 4500rpm was on highway at speed , reduce vibration and ease up on engine rpm with loosing to much torque. Can use gear box to shift at low end but need a smoother top end ??? thoughts.

It's not a big expense and just work to try it........With my '09 F800GS, I'm thinking that a 3T change would make a "roll-on" throttle pass a gear dropper. A hard pass would require dropping 2 gears.
Let us know how you make out.
OM

Will let you know how it works out, going to NC in August and will give the bike a good run.

have new 2017 f 800 gsa, frt sprocket is 15 and rear is 47 i think? I ride cross country and and RPM is 4500 at 75 mph would like to drop that down and run at 80 mph at around 4000 or just slightly less. I am think a 44 tooth rear gear would get me closer to what I need. Any help out there or suggestions, my first time messing with rear sprockets and charts are helpful but experience best teacher. thanks, TJM 112299

Get the F650gs set up which is 17 42

:wave The boxer engine and the F engine have two total different characteristic. The F needs to rev, it does not like to lug. When you change sprockets I would try it out on a until 500 mile run first. Hopefully this bike is only for highway use? Let us know how it works out.:wave

:wave The boxer engine and the F engine have two total different characteristic. The F needs to rev, it does not like to lug. When you change sprockets I would try it out on a until 500 mile run first. Hopefully this bike is only for highway use? Let us know how it works out.:wave

only plan for highway and trip to alaska, some off road and gravel but very little. Thanks for your thoughts and everyone who help me think this through.

In the old days of dirt bikes, we used to figure 1 tooth in the front was about a shade over 3 in the rear.
OM

Get the F650gs set up which is 17 42

just talked to my dealer who looked up my vin and confirmed my ratio. my 2017 F800 GSA has a 16t frt. and 42t rear sprocket. now need to calculate engine RPM at 80 MPH. Goal for me is to reduce engine RPM to 4000 or less at 80 mph.

just talked to my dealer who looked up my vin and confirmed my ratio. my 2017 F800 GSA has a 16t frt. and 42t rear sprocket. now need to calculate engine RPM at 80 MPH. Goal for me is to reduce engine RPM to 4000 or less at 80 mph.

Won"t happen.

How did you handle it or are you living with it?? not sure a 650 set up is right?? delaer suggested going to a rear sprocket of 44t rather than 47t and leave frt alone??

The buss or high speed vib, is getting less all the time. I never used to run 80 and over until they increased the speed limits. I made a cross country trip this summer and spent a lot of time in the higher speed range. It ether became less or I just got used to it. The bike is well brook in as it now has 173,000 miles on it. F650gs 2009.

have new 2017 f 800 gsa, frt sprocket is 16 and rear is 42. I ride cross country and and RPM is 4500 at 75 mph would like to drop that down and run at 80 mph at around 4000 or just slightly less. I am think a 44 tooth rear gear would get me closer to what I need. Any help out there or suggestions, my first time messing with rear sprockets and charts are helpful but experience best teacher. thanks, TJM 112299

Going with more teeth in the back would increase your RPM.
If that has been pointed out already I missed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I rode out and back for the east coast to the rally on a 17t front and stocker on my 2016 800 gsa. It was about a 500-600 rpm drop and made it more pleasant droning down the highway.

I just replaced all my sprockets as I needed a new chain from off-road out on the COBDR. MY 17t front that I just swapped out has about 9k miles on it. Happy to send it to you if you'd like to try it out.

Cheers

Back