• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Considering a R65

edheiser

I saw a r65 yesterday that's been in a garage for 18 years.
part0.jpg
I know nothing about these bikes but the little I've read recently. I need another bike like a hole in the head, but it was so unusual I keep thinking about it. It has a key (miracle) and fires up with a jumper cable. The clutch cable is frozen, brakes don't work, and the tires are really old.
I can get it for $750, but the registration is $618. By the time I get parts, paint and even with good luck, I'll have 2500 to 3500 in it. There are lots of good running BMWs available for that money. I have a 2002 R1150RTPI recently got and fixed, and 4 other bikes, so I passed, but it's gnawing at me. Am I nuts to take this on, or is it a gem in the rough?
BTW, the owner has a Lotus and a Ferrari among other things, and loves to talk, pretty interesting look-see.

Compared to what you went through on the RT, getting this one going will be a piece of cake. I think you can get around the registration back fees by submitting a non operation/ non use document to Calif DMV, registered owner could certify that it has been parked for X amount of years. Great deal, if I had room for it i would grab it too.

Its the Journey not the destination

You are no where hear being "nuts" if you only have 5 bikes, you can apply for that title when you have about 15 with 5 being ongoing projects. I followed your adventure with the RTP and gotta say you had my attention and respect for your perseverance and bravery to dig into something as messed up as it was and not give up until it was up and running.

The R 65 deserves an owner like you and a second chance at a great life. You sir do not seem the type to pass up a challenge so go for it.

Could it be a journey into a cafe' build?

It looks like an early production R65 probably 1978 based upon the flat top carbs. The R65 was a reasonable bike, maybe down on power relative to the 1000cc bikes of the time. Due to the steering geometry they were quite "flickable" and responsive to input.

Go for it! Otherwise you would just be wasting your money on the mortgage or shoes for the kids.... :)

Go for it! Otherwise you would just be wasting your money on the mortgage or shoes for the kids.... :)

He has a point.

"Daddy can't buy you new shoes right now. I need an R65. Someday you'll understand."

But seriously I'd spend $750.00. Even your projected cost comes under what most people are going to ask for a running one. Of course, you'll need rubber parts and stuff. If you aren't going to have the time to get it running you'd likely recover the $750.

But you'll spend more on therapy and end up paying for the therapist's luxury car.

Just go get the darn thing. It is never going to be anything where it's at, if it's been let to go to where it stands now. Hell, offer the guy $500 for it. Do the non-op thing if you have to. I wouldn't mind having one of those for myself. I get in to trouble on the bigger displacement bikes.

The fact that it has a key and fires up is your clue that it was meant for you. Both miracles after that long.

It's a 1979

So, looking at the vintage section, I see this 1979 is not old enough to be a vintage, and not new enough to have any real performance. You either love it for what it is, or not. Sort of reminds me of my short ownership of a Yamaha Radian, my brother nick named it the "Raiderette". Great little bike for Morgan Territory road, but not the freeway. I just grew tired of it quickly and sold it. I'll let someone else love this beemer.

Please. I'm trying to figure out where 10k might come from for a new 765 Street Triple. And it will be so good out of the box I won't have the pleasure of spending hours making it right.

Go for it.

Probably a good decion. Not to be Danny Downer, but for $3500 all in, you'd be happier with a reasonably ready-to-go R75/6 or /7, or R90/6.

So, looking at the vintage section, I see this 1979 is not old enough to be a vintage, and not new enough to have any real performance. You either love it for what it is, or not. Sort of reminds me of my short ownership of a Yamaha Radian, my brother nick named it the "Raiderette". Great little bike for Morgan Territory road, but not the freeway. I just grew tired of it quickly and sold it. I'll let someone else love this beemer.

If you are talking about the "vintage" section of this MOA forum, then a 1979 model will never be old enough. However, the Antique Motorcycle Club of America, (AMCA) registers bikes when they are 30 years old.

A friend of mine as a R65 and he really likes it. He does some touring on it but the bike is not blessed with a lot of power at highway speeds. The price is attractive and the rest of putting it back on the road is reality speaking to you. If you got to have it then fine, but if not pass.

Back