• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Weather Note from an SLC Local - It's Going to be HOT!

excdnguy

SLC Local here letting you know it is going to be HOT! Lived here 11 years this summer and so far this is shaping up to be the hottest summer I've seen since moving to Salt Lake. This week we were at triple digits all week and it only dropping to 80 overnight. After a particularly bountiful winter with lots of snow, we kinda skipped spring and went straight to summer. Local new forecast had this information posted:

Another scorcher yesterday.... The temp. hit 105 in Salt Lake City... which was a record high. The old record was 104. Just about as hot today... with a high of 103. Enough humid air in the higher levels... so we will see more dark clouds in the afternoon. Storms will pop up-- producing gusty winds but little rain. More of the same the next several days. -Grant Weyman, KSL Weather 7.6.17

We're still a week out but I'd expect pretty similar next week. As you probably know we are at some elevation (about 4200 ft ASL at the rally site) and we are in an arid climate. YES, that "dry heat" thing which personally I've never bought when visiting Arizona at 110+ but in the 90s it can be tolerable.

Best advice is to drink A LOT of water, more than you might expect. I learned that moving here from a humid Great Lakes climate city in 2006. A bottle of saline for your nose is also a good idea as it is so dry and dusty that nose bleeds from irritation are quite common. Bring a hat you can soak in water - that evaporation from your noggin really helps.

On the plus side, mornings are cool and pleasant as are the evenings. A riding escape to the mountains and up to 8500 feet by our local ski resorts is a must. Beautiful scenery and 25 miles from downtown SLC. Go visit Big Cottonwood Canyon or Little Cottonwood Canyon. Big Cottonwood with a ride over the mountains the back way into Park City is recommended.

Safe journeys and welcome!

SLC Local here letting you know it is going to be HOT! Lived here 11 years this summer and so far this is shaping up to be the hottest summer I've seen since moving to Salt Lake. This week we were at triple digits all week and it only dropping to 80 overnight. After a particularly bountiful winter with lots of snow, we kinda skipped spring and went straight to summer. Local new forecast had this information posted:

Another scorcher yesterday.... The temp. hit 105 in Salt Lake City... which was a record high. The old record was 104. Just about as hot today... with a high of 103. Enough humid air in the higher levels... so we will see more dark clouds in the afternoon. Storms will pop up-- producing gusty winds but little rain. More of the same the next several days. -Grant Weyman, KSL Weather 7.6.17

We're still a week out but I'd expect pretty similar next week. As you probably know we are at some elevation (about 4200 ft ASL at the rally site) and we are in an arid climate. YES, that "dry heat" thing which personally I've never bought when visiting Arizona at 110+ but in the 90s it can be tolerable.

Best advice is to drink A LOT of water, more than you might expect. I learned that moving here from a humid Great Lakes climate city in 2006. A bottle of saline for your nose is also a good idea as it is so dry and dusty that nose bleeds from irritation are quite common. Bring a hat you can soak in water - that evaporation from your noggin really helps.

On the plus side, mornings are cool and pleasant as are the evenings. A riding escape to the mountains and up to 8500 feet by our local ski resorts is a must. Beautiful scenery and 25 miles from downtown SLC. Go visit Big Cottonwood Canyon or Little Cottonwood Canyon. Big Cottonwood with a ride over the mountains the back way into Park City is recommended.

Thanks for the local report!

I'm riding in from Los Angeles, so if I don't cook crossing Nevada, I think I'll be good in SLC :dunno

Just another local,

But if one does take a ride, beware of early morning runs at higher elevations.

This morning @ 8am over Daniels Pass (US 40 near Strawberry) it was 44 and I was glad to be wearing my heated jacket with a mesh jacket covering.

Now @ noon going over Indian Canyon Pass (US 191 south of Duchesne on US 40) is was in the low 80's but 90 in Duchesne with a forecast high at 96.

Just another local,

But if one does take a ride, beware of early morning runs at higher elevations.

This morning @ 8am over Daniels Pass (US 40 near Strawberry) it was 44 and I was glad to be wearing my heated jacket with a mesh jacket covering.

Now @ noon going over Indian Canyon Pass (US 191 south of Duchesne on US 40) is was in the low 80's but 90 in Duchesne with a forecast high at 96.

Good point. I took a ride up Little Cottonwood Canyon to Alta a couple of weeks ago in the evening wearing my brand-new mesh jacket. I'm one of those polar-bear-rarely-get-cold types (I bought my first winter jacket this year with actual insulation in it, just a few months shy of turning 50) and I was cold that evening. I was glad I brought the windproof liner for the mesh jacket that evening. The handlebar warmers helped with the cold but the back of my hands were still cold with the mesh gloves. Live and learn.

But, will you have flame cars??? Can't be a truly hot rally without Flame Cars!

No Break Coming

It is 38C a few blocks away from the site. And, it will be a low of 25 C at 3am, according to Accuweather.

Looks like the week is shaping up to be hot as expected. I was near the Fairpark this afternoon and my car was showing 102F at one point. Keep cool!

Back