Thread: Best place to buy summer gear, East Coast

Best place to buy summer gear, East Coast

Hi all, if anyone would help me out with best places to buy summer riding gear (on East Coast) I'd be really grateful.
    I'm not just being lazy about this, although there is an element of that, but as I'm coming over from the UK (next week), I think my leather jacket is going to be a bit warm.
    I will be setting off from New York City (after bike has cleared customs) then heading up through, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, New Hampshire to Main (for the first part of my trip). Mostly along (.ish) the coast areas.
    I would like to go to somewhere which has a good stock of clothes to try on, and value for money would be nice, but haven't got a clue where or what the outlets may be called.
    Internet shopping is good but being on the road and not having a postal address scuppers that option.
    Any and all advice would be gratefully received.

Derek
    Derek, current bike R1200RT LE (2017)
    Previous bikes, Honda Pan European, Kawasaki GT 750, Kawasaki GPZ 550, a bunch of kids and a Gilera 125

Check out www.twistedthrottle.com They might even have camping out back for a overnighter in RI. Their World Headquarters is located at 570 Nooseneck Hill rd. Exeter, RI. 02822
    John Simonds
    2017 R 1200 GS Adventure
    1975 Norton Commando 850 Roadster Mk 3
    If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

Cheers

Thanks John I'll definitely drop by and see what they have, especially as you provided the address...top man.

Derek
    Previous bikes, Honda Pan European, Kawasaki GT 750, Kawasaki GPZ 550, a bunch of kids and a Gilera 125

Check out Cycle Gear as well. They have stores all over the country and are now associated with Revzilla. I know there is one in White Plains, NY and one in Manchester, CT. Cycle Gear Store Locator
    MOA #107139
    RA #28511

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by britabroad View Post
    ....{snip}
    I will be setting off from New York City (after bike has cleared customs) then heading up through, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, New Hampshire to Main (for the first part of my trip). Mostly along (.ish) the coast areas.....{snip}
    Try to avoid Interstate 95 if you can. Rush hours are at least hours during commute times.
    I would like to go to somewhere which has a good stock of clothes to try on, and value for money would be nice, but haven't got a clue where or what the outlets may be called.
    Internet shopping is good but being on the road and not having a postal address scuppers that option.
    Any and all advice would be gratefully received.

Derek
    If you can get to Fall River Mass, not far off from some nice coastal riding, Vanson Leathers (They are much more than leathers) http://www.vansonleathers.com is a great spot. The owners are real nice and extremely accommodating.
    Good luck. Be careful.
    Gary
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Is there a reason why no one's mentioned any of the Max BMW stores? At least one of them must be convenient to the planned route.
    '17.5 R1200GS
    Priors: '16 R1200R, '14 R1200GS, '13 K1600GT, '08 R1200RT, '04 R1150RT, '05 R1200GS, '73 R75/5 (LWB).

Quote Originally Posted by sailorlite View Post
    Is there a reason why no one's mentioned any of the Max BMW stores? At least one of them must be convenient to the planned route.
    What? Support a dealer? Who would do that?
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

I would also recommend Cycle Gear if you have one nearby. They seem to have decent stock and have stuff starting on the inexpensive side and going up.

Info

Thanks guys, I will check out the other alternatives...but for now must take bike to Heathrow for air freighting over to JFK

And we're off!

Delivered the bike to the shippers...so I'll see it next in NY.

Name:  IMG_0971.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  90.9 KB

Cooling

Buy a good mesh jacket with good venting. Look into an evaporative vest to wear under a mesh jacket. We are having bit of a heat wave and you will need it. Soaking it down and wearing it will make you feel as if you are home. Make sure the pants you buy have good venting.

+2 on Cycle Gear. Good. Cheap. Nationwide. Great Return policy.

Store Locator on the banner at the top.
    https://www.cyclegear.com/?gclid=CID...FQUNaQodpx8GKA

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with CG.
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden
    Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner
    1963 Dnepr

The northern-most cycle gear is outside Boston, in Woburn, MA. off I 95/Rt128. (Avoid rush hour!) My recommendation is to stop by one of their NYC metro area shops, but consider the option to picking up your item in another store along your route in case the NYC area store doesn't have what you need.
    +1 regarding MAX BMW. There are several, with the one in NH coast being the most northerly. Good guys there.
    FYI-the toll system in MA has gone completely automatic. No more toll booths. They send you an invoice by mail in case you don't hold a transponder. I wonder if the invoice will follow you to U.K.?