• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Best place to buy summer gear, East Coast

britabroad

Hi all, if anyone would help me out with best places to buy summer riding gear (on East Coast) I'd be really grateful.
I'm not just being lazy about this, although there is an element of that, but as I'm coming over from the UK (next week), I think my leather jacket is going to be a bit warm.
I will be setting off from New York City (after bike has cleared customs) then heading up through, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, New Hampshire to Main (for the first part of my trip). Mostly along (.ish) the coast areas.
I would like to go to somewhere which has a good stock of clothes to try on, and value for money would be nice, but haven't got a clue where or what the outlets may be called.
Internet shopping is good but being on the road and not having a postal address scuppers that option.
Any and all advice would be gratefully received.

Derek

Cheers

Thanks John I'll definitely drop by and see what they have, especially as you provided the address...top man.

Derek

....{snip}
I will be setting off from New York City (after bike has cleared customs) then heading up through, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, New Hampshire to Main (for the first part of my trip). Mostly along (.ish) the coast areas.....{snip}
Try to avoid Interstate 95 if you can. Rush hours are at least hours during commute times.
I would like to go to somewhere which has a good stock of clothes to try on, and value for money would be nice, but haven't got a clue where or what the outlets may be called.
Internet shopping is good but being on the road and not having a postal address scuppers that option.
Any and all advice would be gratefully received.

Derek
If you can get to Fall River Mass, not far off from some nice coastal riding, Vanson Leathers (They are much more than leathers) http://www.vansonleathers.com is a great spot. The owners are real nice and extremely accommodating.
Good luck. Be careful.
Gary

Is there a reason why no one's mentioned any of the Max BMW stores? At least one of them must be convenient to the planned route.

I would also recommend Cycle Gear if you have one nearby. They seem to have decent stock and have stuff starting on the inexpensive side and going up.

Info

Thanks guys, I will check out the other alternatives...but for now must take bike to Heathrow for air freighting over to JFK :)

And we're off!

Delivered the bike to the shippers...so I'll see it next in NY.

IMG_0971.jpg

Cooling

Buy a good mesh jacket with good venting. Look into an evaporative vest to wear under a mesh jacket. We are having bit of a heat wave and you will need it. Soaking it down and wearing it will make you feel as if you are home. :) Make sure the pants you buy have good venting.

The northern-most cycle gear is outside Boston, in Woburn, MA. off I 95/Rt128. (Avoid rush hour!) My recommendation is to stop by one of their NYC metro area shops, but consider the option to picking up your item in another store along your route in case the NYC area store doesn't have what you need.
+1 regarding MAX BMW. There are several, with the one in NH coast being the most northerly. Good guys there.
FYI-the toll system in MA has gone completely automatic. No more toll booths. They send you an invoice by mail in case you don't hold a transponder. I wonder if the invoice will follow you to U.K.?

Back