• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Emancipation Day & Independence Day

crucian

Greetings from the Virgin Islands.

Yesterday, July 3rd marked the date in 1848 when Danish Governor Peter von Scholten abolished slavery in the Virgin Islands. It is of course a major holiday here, as is the 4th of July marking Independence of the United Sates of America as a nation. The U.S. purchased the Virgins from Denmark in 1917 but our Heritage and Architecture remain closely connected to Denmark.

We are, for those who might be curious, an Unincorporated Territory of the U.S. and although we have a locally elected Governor and Legislature we remain firmly under the control of the U.S. Government which some regard as benign and some as oppressive.

St. Croix, my home, lies 35 nautical miles South of St. Thomas/St. John, 100 SE of Puerto Rico and approximately 600 N of Caracas, Venezuela in the NE Caribbean Sea. Point Udall on St. Croix is the furthest East point in the U.S. or any of its possessions. Our land mass is 84 mountainous square miles with two towns, Frederiksted and Christiansted. Much of the island remains undeveloped with substantial agricultural resources. Our 2010 census population was 50,000 souls but in the ensuing seven years we have had a substantial population loss due to serious economic problems, especially on St. Croix.

One is "at sea" the moment they exit the channel from Christiansted harbor as the ocean depth between St. Croix and St. Thomas is over 21,000 feet, down and back in 35 miles!

Although we have occasional senseless crime, the people here all speak to each other on the streets and in the stores, are quick to offer assistance and even quicker to forgive. I live on three and a half acres at the end of a dirt road, in the mountains and here my two wheel travel is conducted on a 350 watt assist electronic bicycle (Karmic Koben S) with hydraulic disk brakes and a NuVinci planetary hub for gearing. Riding up the many steep hills on a conventional bicycle is for others, I prefer a silent partner. The tires are Japanese Panaracer Gravel Kings, no tread but sticky rubber which do well on the loose stuff which is everywhere. Motorcycles are ridden here, half scooters and half sport bikes. I frequently see sport bikes being ridden in a manner that reminds me of the Tourist Trophy races on Isle of Man with even more dangerous roads here, than there.

My 1200 GSA is garaged in Virginia Beach and I'm going to catch up with her end of the month.

That's about it from this road less traveled. I'm going out to pick Mangos in a while and then ride out to Point Udal on my Koben S.

Happy 4th to all.

Last edited:
Back