• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Police motorcycle test results

Fortes fortuna iuvat
Apologies if this has already been posted but here are the 2017 test results

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/msp/2017_MY_Police_Vehicle_Evaluation_Test_Book-Final_544109_7.pdf

No surprises here as the BMW RT-P handily beat HD's 3 offerings.

"Overall, the best performing machine in all the tests is the BMW R 1200 RT-P, readily and substantially beating all the competitors in dynamics, top-speed, and all acceleration tests, and coming in a very close third in the braking test."

As a side note the Can-Am won the braking test as a result of the advantage of a 3rd wheel.

Not a surprise. What hurts BMW in getting contracts for police motors is the maintenance cost that goes with a contract. Not that the cost is out of line, it just in "some" jurisdictions a well-known American made M/C has eaten the maintenance cost so they can get the contracts...just saying...:dunno

Not a surprise. What hurts BMW in getting contracts for police motors is the maintenance cost that goes with a contract. Not that the cost is out of line, it just in "some" jurisdictions a well-known American made M/C has eaten the maintenance cost so they can get the contracts...just saying...:dunno

City Councils and County Commissions have been buying inferior products of all kinds for decades.

From the stats, the next time a LEO on an HD wants to pull me over, I should feel sorry for his slow ride?

There was a similar report a few years ago and BMW was the top bike, but Michigan bought HD bikes. Go figure.

There was a similar report a few years ago and BMW was the top bike, but Michigan bought HD bikes. Go figure.

Michigan State Police uses primarily BMWs. They may have some Harleys left but I believe they are phasing them out. They listened to their own test results.

Speaking from experience, I'd take a Road King over an RT. We worked those H-D's often 16 hrs. straight per day (two shifts, two different officers) and in the 7 years I ran 'motors,' we had very, very few issues.

Nationally-certified Motor Officers, as opposed to just 'cops on bikes' (sort of a 'brotherhood' within the LEO Brotherhood) stay in touch and share intel.

The rub with BMW is that, by stone-walling the fact that they had/have FD issues, I know of more than a few agencies that simply have no faith it's been resolved. :dunno

Last edited:
From the stats, the next time a LEO on an HD wants to pull me over, I should feel sorry for his slow ride?

Funny little relevant story...

Back in the 70's our brother in law was a deputy on the Nevada side of Tahoe. He convinced the Sheriff to start a motor unit for traffic enforcement. The bro in law helped implement the new unit, and was offered an invitation to attend the CHP motor academy training in Sacramento.

After graduation he began patrolling with a Kawi 900. His first traffic stop involving another motorcycle involved a guy on a 60's vintage Triumph. The guy flipped him the bird and took off. About 3 seconds later Dan flew by the dude and waved him to the side of the road.

When asked why he tried to run, the guy replied..."Well, I thought you were on a Harley, I didn't know Kawasaki made cop bikes."

Funny little relevant story...

Back in the 70's our brother in law was a deputy on the Nevada side of Tahoe. He convinced the Sheriff to start a motor unit for traffic enforcement. The bro in law helped implement the new unit, and was offered an invitation to attend the CHP motor academy training in Sacramento.

After graduation he began patrolling with a Kawi 900. His first traffic stop involving another motorcycle involved a guy on a 60's vintage Triumph. The guy flipped him the bird and took off. About 3 seconds later Dan flew by the dude and waved him to the side of the road.

When asked why he tried to run, the guy replied..."Well, I thought you were on a Harley, I didn't know Kawasaki made cop bikes."

That is a good story! Would have liked to have seen the expression on the offender's face. :dance

If we're talking strictly high-speed pursuit, the Beemers would be the bikes of choice, hands down. They can be wickedly fast when they need to be, as opposed to the 'workhorse' Harleys. No argument.

But few outrun the Motorola's! :nono

I think the GS would be better choice for police rides.

Astute observation.

If we're solely endorsing BMW's, I'd agree.

Given the ergonomics of constant mounting and dismounting, sitting higher in traffic, as well as the storage capacity of some big boxes, it would be quite superior to the RT.

And the additional ground clearance is advantageous - think 'curb lines.'

Foul-weather protection is somewhat less, but then again, in truly foul weather, motors rarely venture out.

Wichita's current police chief is looking to bring Motorcycle Policing back after about a 15 year hiatus. I would love it if they went with BMW bikes as it would bring awareness of the brand back into the local market. However, lack of local dealer support for BMW means they are more likely to go with some other brand, likely Kawasaki (what they had back in the day) or Harley.

Speaking from experience, I'd take a Road King over an RT. We worked those H-D's often 16 hrs. straight per day (two shifts, two different officers) and in the 7 years I ran 'motors,' we had very, very few issues.

Nationally-certified Motor Officers, as opposed to just 'cops on bikes' (sort of a 'brotherhood' within the LEO Brotherhood) stay in touch and share intel.

The rub with BMW is that, by stone-walling the fact that they had/have FD issues, I know of more than a few agencies that simply have no faith it's been resolved. :dunno

To be fair the Motor Co has had its share of problems as well (e.g. Cam chain tensioners, excessive engine heat). IMO HD has an edge with lower maintenance costs, better dealer network and bikes that can withstand more abuse when dropped. However ther is no contest between HD and BMW on the performance and technology side.

There is also a pro HD culture that is hard to change amongst many motor officers based on tradition and not performance - at least there was with my department. European law enforcement agencies don't seem to struggle with this and choose their bikes and gear on safety & performance.

To be fair the Motor Co has had its share of problems as well (e.g. Cam chain tensioners, excessive engine heat). IMO HD has an edge with lower maintenance costs, better dealer network and bikes that can withstand more abuse when dropped. However ther is no contest between HD and BMW on the performance and technology side.

There is also a pro HD culture that is hard to change amongst many motor officers based on tradition and not performance - at least there was with my department. European law enforcement agencies don't seem to struggle with this and choose their bikes and gear on safety & performance.

fortuna favet paratus

All other 'arguments' aside...I worked for 30 years in police/emergency vehicles and I can say from experience that the tax-payers [en-mass] do not want foreign made emergency vehicles . We tried , letters were sent to city hall, letters were sent to chiefs, & to fleet management etc.

There are many factors that enter into good,better,best. The officer's riding style/habits...proper maintenance & repair...etc.

Is the vehicle a take-home perk?....Extra care/less abuse noticed when the vehicle is felt to be more personal , is pay step effected when the is bike down? Sometimes it is , and that leads to less abuse...etc.

All emergency vehicles live a hard life....hell all public fleet vehicles / motorized equipment does. And...they all have their strengths & weakness's .

As for opinion?...Mine is that nothing looks more official than a fully uniformed motor-officer on an H/D FLHTP!

And as with Mounted patrol,... appearance is a huge factor .

All other 'arguments' aside...I worked for 30 years in police/emergency vehicles and I can say from experience that the tax-payers [en-mass] do not want foreign made emergency vehicles . We tried , letters were sent to city hall, letters were sent to chiefs, & to fleet management etc.

Perhaps you could tell them the largest automobile assembly plant--soon to expand--in the USA is the BMW plant in South Carolina.

With the Wethead, BMW has addressed its biggest maintenance issue, replacing the dry clutch with a wet clutch, easily accessible.

They've also made the bikes smaller, imho to appeal to female officers.

Back