Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 31 to 43 of 43

Thread: Police motorcycle test results

  1. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by crucian View Post
    Go to Holland and encounter a six foot five inch cycle officer on a BMW and I think appearance is adequate. They also utilize 911 Porches there for traffic patrol. You can't run and you can't hide! In Amsterdam they use rapid response mountain bikes and by rapid, I mean rapid. First time I saw a pack of four of them jumping curbs headed on a call, I was duly impressed.

    Sounds like you know...I do not but....we're not in Holland we're here in the mid-west... Cincinnati ....and the citizens wanted their motor-officers on H/D's . And we have & have had several large officers on them....what ever that means? The badge & the authority behind it is what is to be respected

    As for the Porsche's ...we could never spend that much tax-payer dollars for cars......where would they put suspects?
    Ron Prior {AMA member ,MOA member}
    Milford,Oh
    2002 KLT
    2004 Roadster

  2. #32
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Southeastern VA
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by 71243 View Post
    Sounds like you know...I do not but....we're not in Holland we're here in the mid-west... Cincinnati ....and the citizens wanted their motor-officers on H/D's . And we have & have had several large officers on them....what ever that means? The badge & the authority behind it is what is to be respected

    As for the Porsche's ...we could never spend that much tax-payer dollars for cars......where would they put suspects?
    Many years ago, when I was growing up in California, the man across the street from us was a CHP officer. He would bring his motor home often, even though we lived about 3 miles from their local HQ. He was a big man, well over 6 feet. Needless to say, he was intimidating in his boots, riding pants, and motor uniform. Back then you could not join the CHP unless you were 6 feet tall. It was a minimum requirement, hence no women. You also were required to ride a motor for at least 2 years before you could get in a car. In the late 60s or early 70s, California was sued for discrimination based on the height requirement. That 6 foot minimum kept certain minorities and most women from even being able to apply. California lost and the era of the very imposing Highway Patrol officers ended, as did the motor requirement.

    Just a bit of history...


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  3. #33
    Fortes fortuna iuvat
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    130
    Quote Originally Posted by 71243 View Post
    As for the Porsche's ...we could never spend that much tax-payer dollars for cars......where would they put suspects?
    CHP and many other state patrols used 5.0 Mustangs. Non-violent arrested persons being transported would ride in the front passenger seat, handcuffed and seat belted in. I would suspect the same would hold true for a Porsche.

  4. #34
    Registered User greenwald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Sheboygan, WI
    Posts
    4,944

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by 129654 View Post
    CHP and many other state patrols used 5.0 Mustangs. Non-violent arrested persons being transported would ride in the front passenger seat, handcuffed and seat belted in. I would suspect the same would hold true for a Porsche.
    In terms of law enforcement tactics, a stupid accommodation, just to be driving a 'cool' pursuit vehicle.
    Kevin Greenwald - MSF Lead RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    Motorcycle/High Performance/Teen/Winter/ATV Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Track

  5. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by pkpilot View Post
    Many years ago, when I was growing up in California, the man across the street from us was a CHP officer. He would bring his motor home often, even though we lived about 3 miles from their local HQ. He was a big man, well over 6 feet. Needless to say, he was intimidating in his boots, riding pants, and motor uniform. Back then you could not join the CHP unless you were 6 feet tall. It was a minimum requirement, hence no women. You also were required to ride a motor for at least 2 years before you could get in a car. In the late 60s or early 70s, California was sued for discrimination based on the height requirement. That 6 foot minimum kept certain minorities and most women from even being able to apply. California lost and the era of the very imposing Highway Patrol officers ended, as did the motor requirement.

    Just a bit of history...


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

    I know it's not PC but I still think the "old way" as you describe, was the better.
    Ron Prior {AMA member ,MOA member}
    Milford,Oh
    2002 KLT
    2004 Roadster

  6. #36
    Registered User lmo1131's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Pismo Beach, CA
    Posts
    3,673
    CHP and many other state patrols used 5.0 Mustangs.
    This switch is underway; the white ones are the hardest to see. SUVs make complete sense to me.

    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden
    Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner
    1963 Dnepr

  7. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by lmo1131 View Post
    This switch is underway; the white ones are the hardest to see. SUVs make complete sense to me.


    They certainly do blend in.......
    Ron Prior {AMA member ,MOA member}
    Milford,Oh
    2002 KLT
    2004 Roadster

  8. #38
    Registered User mikesved's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    51
    I am not an LEO but have worked in Emergency Services for 17+ years (EMS only), just putting that out there as a disclaimer.
    Here in NC, the SHP has been using RT's for a while, at least since the 1150 (my first bike was an 1150 RT-P). So far, every SHP moto officer I have met prefers the BMW's to the HD's. The ABS system, acceleration, handling, cornering and so on seemed to be far superior than HD. The NCHP Moto training guru (retired) is where I got a lot of this info from (Mark Brown of Moto Mark 1). The BMW's were safer as they saw a lot less accidents due to skids, braking and so on. The one bike that a few wished was made again was the ST1300 in LEO formatting. It was a solid machine, light weight and met the requirements they were looking for.
    I agree in regards to the GS, though I am not a GS rider. An LEO GS would give departments a lot of flexibility for their machines, though the lack of weather protection is an issue. I also wonder if there is enough room on the handlebars, dash and screen for the needed LEO equipment?

    On the "buy American" philosophy. Outside of a few individuals, most people I come into contact with know that HD's are not "made in America". Most departments I deal with on a professional manner (SHP, SO and local PD) that have moto divisions buy machines that are safest for the officers or the officers request. As with all departments, politics and personal preference by the bosses exist. Raleigh PD until recently would not have a Chevy product in the vehicle fleet because the former chief hated GM. The Chiefs, Captains and so forth that I have met and had the chance to talk to try to ignore the public when it comes to equipment purchases for their officers. By ignore, they tune out the "outrage" over country of origin or brand if the equipment is well made, liked be their field officers and makes their jobs as safe as possible. They may the outliers in all of this.

    On a selfish note, I have trying...unsuccessfully I must add, to get my County EMS agency to institute a Moto Response unit for MVC's (auto crashes) similar to England and several other European countries. Just another excuse to be in the road more...and get paid to become a better rider.

    Mike

  9. #39
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    gig harborr ,wa
    Posts
    588
    In washington state colors can be black, grey, white, dark green or a few red vehicles.

  10. #40
    Registered User SeabeckS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    GPS (Greater Puget Sound)
    Posts
    1,652
    Quote Originally Posted by EUGENE View Post
    In washington state colors can be black, grey, white, dark green or a few red vehicles.
    Yeah, I slow down every time I see an Explorer these days! (Just kidding of course...I never exceed the speed limit!)

    Bill Johnston

  11. #41
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    gig harborr ,wa
    Posts
    588
    Not by much!

  12. #42
    Registered User SeabeckS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    GPS (Greater Puget Sound)
    Posts
    1,652
    Quote Originally Posted by EUGENE View Post
    Not by much!
    It's not the Explorers the speeders need to watch for in the Evergreen State, among some of the unmarked WSP rigs I've seen...

    Hi lift F150, CB antenna, contractors tool box, BIG fancy wheels...

    White V-70 Volvo wagon...

    Plumber's type van, no extra side windows...

    Beat up looking OLD Chevy Lumina...

    And several years ago, hot rodded Mustang, rear window louvers, aftermarket mag wheels, side pipes...

    That last was interesting to watch as he stopped an aggressive lane weaver (tailgating closely, flashing headlights, etc, etc.) after he tailgated the Mustang. The Mustang yielded the fast lane, the speeder flipped him off on the way by. The Mustang driver then reached over and put his Trooper hat on, then flipped the switch for his hidden red and blues. I'm sure there was an interesting discussion...
    Bill Johnston

  13. #43
    Registered User greenwald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Sheboygan, WI
    Posts
    4,944

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by lmo1131 View Post
    This switch is underway; the white ones are the hardest to see. SUVs make complete sense to me.

    +1
    Kevin Greenwald - MSF Lead RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    Motorcycle/High Performance/Teen/Winter/ATV Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Track

Similar Threads

  1. '71 R75/5 Leak Down Test Results - Seems Odd
    By kriegmeister in forum Airheads
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-26-2016, 12:03 AM
  2. Endurolast Charging - Test Results
    By brittrunyon in forum Airheads
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-08-2012, 05:06 PM
  3. S1000RR Burnout Test Results from SJBMW
    By fish in forum S1000 - The Hothead
    Replies: 74
    Last Post: 02-23-2010, 03:19 AM
  4. Squid test results
    By OfficerImpersonator in forum Campfire
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 05-22-2007, 03:38 PM
  5. Police motorcycle test results. Neat stuff
    By CTHalk in forum Campfire
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-15-2006, 11:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •