Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Police motorcycle test results

Fortes fortuna iuvat

Police motorcycle test results

Apologies if this has already been posted but here are the 2017 test results

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/ms...l_544109_7.pdf

No surprises here as the BMW RT-P handily beat HD's 3 offerings.

"Overall, the best performing machine in all the tests is the BMW R 1200 RT-P, readily and substantially beating all the competitors in dynamics, top-speed, and all acceleration tests, and coming in a very close third in the braking test."

As a side note the Can-Am won the braking test as a result of the advantage of a 3rd wheel.

Not a surprise. What hurts BMW in getting contracts for police motors is the maintenance cost that goes with a contract. Not that the cost is out of line, it just in "some" jurisdictions a well-known American made M/C has eaten the maintenance cost so they can get the contracts...just saying...

Quote Originally Posted by r184 View Post
    Not a surprise. What hurts BMW in getting contracts for police motors is the maintenance cost that goes with a contract. Not that the cost is out of line, it just in "some" jurisdictions a well-known American made M/C has eaten the maintenance cost so they can get the contracts...just saying...
    City Councils and County Commissions have been buying inferior products of all kinds for decades.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

From the stats, the next time a LEO on an HD wants to pull me over, I should feel sorry for his slow ride?
    1997 R1100RT (Restored Basket Case) , 1981 KZ 440 LTD (Restored Basket Case, my baby, fast, fun)
    3xR90/6, two just sold, one for a sidecar. 1983 K100RS (Cafe now)
    Very Rough R80RT. 1987 K1100RS (freaking hooped I think)

There was a similar report a few years ago and BMW was the top bike, but Michigan bought HD bikes. Go figure.
    Walter

All government, of course, is against liberty.
    H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    City Councils and County Commissions have been buying inferior products of all kinds for decades.
    ...but then, there's Cambridge, Massachusetts which has had motor officers on BMWs for years:

Screen Shot 2017-07-03 at 8.55.12 PM.jpg
    John Gamel
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    BMW CCA 2006 - Present; BMW MOA 2009-Present
    Walt Kelly: "We have met the enemy, and he is us."

Quote Originally Posted by WalterK75 View Post
    There was a similar report a few years ago and BMW was the top bike, but Michigan bought HD bikes. Go figure.
    Michigan State Police uses primarily BMWs. They may have some Harleys left but I believe they are phasing them out. They listened to their own test results.
    14 R1200GS, 02 R1150RT

I think the GS would be better choice for police rides.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Cool

Speaking from experience, I'd take a Road King over an RT. We worked those H-D's often 16 hrs. straight per day (two shifts, two different officers) and in the 7 years I ran 'motors,' we had very, very few issues.

Nationally-certified Motor Officers, as opposed to just 'cops on bikes' (sort of a 'brotherhood' within the LEO Brotherhood) stay in touch and share intel.

The rub with BMW is that, by stone-walling the fact that they had/have FD issues, I know of more than a few agencies that simply have no faith it's been resolved.
    Last edited by greenwald; 07-04-2017 at 11:26 AM.
    Kevin Greenwald - MSF Lead RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    Motorcycle/High Performance/Teen/Winter/ATV Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Track

Quote Originally Posted by dieselyoda View Post
    From the stats, the next time a LEO on an HD wants to pull me over, I should feel sorry for his slow ride?
    Funny little relevant story...

Back in the 70's our brother in law was a deputy on the Nevada side of Tahoe. He convinced the Sheriff to start a motor unit for traffic enforcement. The bro in law helped implement the new unit, and was offered an invitation to attend the CHP motor academy training in Sacramento.

After graduation he began patrolling with a Kawi 900. His first traffic stop involving another motorcycle involved a guy on a 60's vintage Triumph. The guy flipped him the bird and took off. About 3 seconds later Dan flew by the dude and waved him to the side of the road.

When asked why he tried to run, the guy replied..."Well, I thought you were on a Harley, I didn't know Kawasaki made cop bikes."
    Bill Johnston

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by SeabeckS View Post
    Funny little relevant story...

Back in the 70's our brother in law was a deputy on the Nevada side of Tahoe. He convinced the Sheriff to start a motor unit for traffic enforcement. The bro in law helped implement the new unit, and was offered an invitation to attend the CHP motor academy training in Sacramento.

After graduation he began patrolling with a Kawi 900. His first traffic stop involving another motorcycle involved a guy on a 60's vintage Triumph. The guy flipped him the bird and took off. About 3 seconds later Dan flew by the dude and waved him to the side of the road.

When asked why he tried to run, the guy replied..."Well, I thought you were on a Harley, I didn't know Kawasaki made cop bikes."
    That is a good story! Would have liked to have seen the expression on the offender's face.

If we're talking strictly high-speed pursuit, the Beemers would be the bikes of choice, hands down. They can be wickedly fast when they need to be, as opposed to the 'workhorse' Harleys. No argument.

But few outrun the Motorola's!
    Motorcycle/High Performance/Teen/Winter/ATV Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Track

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    I think the GS would be better choice for police rides.
    Astute observation.

If we're solely endorsing BMW's, I'd agree.

Given the ergonomics of constant mounting and dismounting, sitting higher in traffic, as well as the storage capacity of some big boxes, it would be quite superior to the RT.

And the additional ground clearance is advantageous - think 'curb lines.'

Foul-weather protection is somewhat less, but then again, in truly foul weather, motors rarely venture out.

Wichita's current police chief is looking to bring Motorcycle Policing back after about a 15 year hiatus. I would love it if they went with BMW bikes as it would bring awareness of the brand back into the local market. However, lack of local dealer support for BMW means they are more likely to go with some other brand, likely Kawasaki (what they had back in the day) or Harley.
    ~Jason

Fortes fortuna iuvat
    Quote Originally Posted by greenwald View Post
    Speaking from experience, I'd take a Road King over an RT. We worked those H-D's often 16 hrs. straight per day (two shifts, two different officers) and in the 7 years I ran 'motors,' we had very, very few issues.

Nationally-certified Motor Officers, as opposed to just 'cops on bikes' (sort of a 'brotherhood' within the LEO Brotherhood) stay in touch and share intel.

The rub with BMW is that, by stone-walling the fact that they had/have FD issues, I know of more than a few agencies that simply have no faith it's been resolved.
    To be fair the Motor Co has had its share of problems as well (e.g. Cam chain tensioners, excessive engine heat). IMO HD has an edge with lower maintenance costs, better dealer network and bikes that can withstand more abuse when dropped. However ther is no contest between HD and BMW on the performance and technology side.

There is also a pro HD culture that is hard to change amongst many motor officers based on tradition and not performance - at least there was with my department. European law enforcement agencies don't seem to struggle with this and choose their bikes and gear on safety & performance.

Quote Originally Posted by 129654 View Post
    To be fair the Motor Co has had its share of problems as well (e.g. Cam chain tensioners, excessive engine heat). IMO HD has an edge with lower maintenance costs, better dealer network and bikes that can withstand more abuse when dropped. However ther is no contest between HD and BMW on the performance and technology side.

There is also a pro HD culture that is hard to change amongst many motor officers based on tradition and not performance - at least there was with my department. European law enforcement agencies don't seem to struggle with this and choose their bikes and gear on safety & performance.
    fortuna favet paratus
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost