• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Riding in the rain

RBEmerson

Kein Nasebohrer
Good news, bad news. I'm starting a week in the Alps. The bad news is the forecast tends towards being rainy. Aside from avoiding cobblestone roads (notably the "Tremola" through St. Gotthard Pass), I'm open to any comments or suggestions about managing this rascal in the wet. Obviously I'll put the throttle in rain mode, but past that? Assume factory stock tires.

Rain mode works very very well. Set suspension to comfort and just ride normal. Chances are you'll have PR4 tires on it and they are very good in the rain, very good.

Just watch for tar snakes the PR4 tires tend to slip on them and I've had the traction control kick in.

I've also found the bike will push a lot of water into your feet when going through pooled water at speed just be aware if it, had a foot get ripped off the pegs a few weeks ago by surprise. Now I lift my feet a bit.

Bike is otherwise Rock solid in the rain, I've done serious miles at good speeds in heavy rain without issue. Protection for the rain on the bike is fantastic and the screen will push most water over your head and off your face shield.

Again rain mode is your friend on the K16.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

You've hit many of the reasons I went for a K1600 for this trip. I'm not sure how much pity I'll have for the GS and naked bike brigade. Maybe I shouldn't say that - pride goeth before a fall and all that.

Another question: tire pressure for any riding (not just rain) - factory specs or...? I'm taking a MotoPump pump (and Dynaplug plugs), making maintaining a pressure easy. The rental contract includes flat tire support. Somehow I can't see sitting at the top of Timmelsjoch, waiting for Toni's Tires to show up. Dynaplugs work like a charm (tested by a nasty little brad). And, of course, I have my gen-yoo-wine BMW digital tire gauge. Woohoo!

I run stock pressures rain or shine without concern nor issue. Technically they run a little mower in the rain due to cooler running temps and a little higher in the dry due to higher running temps anyway.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

OK, gotit. I run 2-4 PSI over factory values on my K1200RS, but that's mostly for curve carving on dry roads.

Now, let's hope the weather guessers are too pessimistic. LOL

Back