Thread: I've Been Looking But Where Are You?

RK Ryder

I've Been Looking But Where Are You?

Early next week I will be riding out to Salt Lake City to help with the set up for the Crossroads' Rally on Monday, July 10th.

In past years there has been a tremendous number of individuals who have contacted me and other rally committee chairs, to volunteer some of their time during the rally. Of course many people wait until the rally begins and volunteer on site. This year, the numbers of committed volunteers prior to the rally is lower than usual. Just wondering why? Could it be the the distance, the temperatures or other factors?

Paul

Paul F. Ruffell
    2017 MOAs Crossroads of the WEST Volunteer Chair
    saltlake.volunteers@gmail.com or rallyvolunteers@bmwmoa.org
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Niagara Riders #298 & Knights of the Roundel #333

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_F View Post
    Early next week I will be riding out to Salt Lake City to help with the set up for the Crossroads' Rally on Monday, July 10th.

In past years there has been a tremendous number of individuals who have contacted me and other rally committee chairs, to volunteer some of their time during the rally. Of course many people wait until the rally begins and volunteer on site. This year, the numbers of committed volunteers prior to the rally is lower than usual. Just wondering why? Could it be the the distance, the temperatures or other factors?

Paul

Paul F. Ruffell
    What you're reporting is quite troubling. Hopefully, it's a onetime event.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

I responded to a request for volunteers made on the forum by sending an email to an address provided for that purpose; no response. Perhaps there are other similar issues. I'll volunteer on site.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

I'm waiting till I show up.
    So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key

RK Ryder
    Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    I responded to a request for volunteers made on the forum by sending an email to an address provided for that purpose; no response. Perhaps there are other similar issues. I'll volunteer on site.
    Kevin, I am disappointed to hear that you did not receive a response. I prefer to have as many people as possible signed up in advance. It reduces the stress of the committee chairs, as well as mine.

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    What you're reporting is quite troubling. Hopefully, it's a onetime event.
    Not necessarily troubling for the rally, but definitely more work for our Volunteer Committee during the Rally.

Quote Originally Posted by jandhumphreyme View Post
    I'm waiting till I show up.
    I understand this to be a reasonable response to volunteering as it will allow you to check out the rally booklet to allow you to schedule helping around seminars or other activities in which you wish to partake.

We do have volunteers signed up, but just not as many ahead of schedule as in the past couple of years. I have been at these nationals where we signed most volunteers onsite and folks were certainly willing to help.

Please visit the Volunteers' Booth/Tables where you will be most welcome!

Paul

Paul F. Ruffell
    2017 MOA’s Crossroads of the WEST Volunteer Chair
    Paul

Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 bogthebasher's Avatar
    Same for me - I had volunteered for a Security gig - but no response. As luck would have it, i now cannot ride for health reasons and will not be at the Rally at all.
    Ken Dittrick
    2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blau)

Excuses are the rocks upon which our dreams are crushed - Tim Fargo

RK Ryder
    Quote Originally Posted by bogthebasher View Post
    Same for me - I had volunteered for a Security gig - but no response. As luck would have it, i now cannot ride for health reasons and will not be at the Rally at all.
    This I find to be troubling; not responding to volunteers who are willing to commit to the rally in advance.

If there should be others who have had similar experiences, please let me know, along with the committees that failed to answer your offer to volunteer. To me, this is totally unacceptable.

Through several different venues, I attempt to enlist as many volunteers as possible prior to the rally and have them contact the chair of the committee that they are interested in helping. Whether this is a link that is incorrect and not connecting or the link works but someone fails to respond to a volunteer, this glich needs to be corrected. Too late for this year's rally, but something I need to know so as it is not repeated for future rally volunteer recruitment.

Paul

Paul F. Ruffell
    Paul

I've spoken to a few friends who like me are waiting to see about the weather. If the 103F they are calling for on Thursday becomes the norm instead of the outlier some of us are out.

One thing I've been wondering for awhile. Is there a reason all the volunteering is not setup through Eventbrite the same way as Registration. I've done registration a couple times just for the ease of using that system. No emailing back and forth. Just pick the time you want and signup.
    Tim Lloyd
    New Market, Md.
    2014 R1200RTW
    MOA #112562

RK Ryder
    Quote Originally Posted by gtlloyd View Post
    I've spoken to a few friends who like me are waiting to see about the weather. If the 103F they are calling for on Thursday becomes the norm instead of the outlier some of us are out.

One thing I've been wondering for awhile. Is there a reason all the volunteering is not setup through Eventbrite the same way as Registration. I've done registration a couple times just for the ease of using that system. No emailing back and forth. Just pick the time you want and signup.
    I really can't answer that. Last year I promoted Eventbrite to the committee chairs that they use it as registration as been doing. To my knowledge, no one did other than Roger Trendowski who uses it. He's been using it very successfully for several years now.

Certainly would make my task easier!

Paul

Paul F. Ruffell
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_F View Post
    I really can't answer that. Last year I promoted Eventbrite to the committee chairs that they use it as registration as been doing. To my knowledge, no one did other than Roger Trendowski who uses it. He's been using it very successfully for several years now.

Certainly would make my task easier!

Paul

Paul F. Ruffell
    2017 MOA’s Crossroads of the WEST Volunteer Chair
    Looks like it is in place:

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/2017-mo...ts-31400492719

Harry
    My fleet: 2015 R1200GS, 2017 Toyota Prius Prime (plug-in hybrid)

Ed Kilner #176066

Ready to Work

Well, not quite. But, I am a few blocks away from the site and will set up tent tomorrow and report for work making signs. Where are you now Paul? PM me if you like.

And, let me add that doing some volunteer work is a way to enhance the rally experience. You meet other great people who volunteer and others who need your help.
    Ed
    2015 R1200RT; 2011 R1200RT RIP; 2000 Triumph 900 (sold)
    http://triumphantsblog.blogspot.ca/