• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'97 R1100RT Exhaust leak

I just changed the clutch on my RT, along with a few other things. However, when I fired her up I noticed a lot of exhaust coming out the union from the headers to the cat/exhaust pipe (stock). I did put a little copper anti-sieze on it when I first put it back together, but have since taken it back off and wiped all of that off. Still have noticeable exhaust leaking. The bolt is torqued to 55nm.

Not sure if this is just the copper a-s burning off or an actual leak. Anyone else have this issues or suggestions?

There is a seal in them and it sounds like they need replacing or the sealing ring is not seated correctly.

18 21 1 341 323 GASKET RING

There is a seal in them and it sounds like they need replacing or the sealing ring is not seated correctly.

18 21 1 341 323 GASKET RING

Thank you for the reply. I might not have explained it correctly. It's the other end that is leaking, were the headers meat the exhaust.
It is leaking at the clamp #5. I might need a new clamp. Maybe I just need to go ride it and get it properly heated up.

Screen Shot 2017-06-29 at 3.52.25 PM.png

As I recall there's a nub on the clamp that needs to match a dimple in the pipe (or the other way around). Possible you didn't line these up, so the nub is keeping the clamp from sealing all the way around?

As I recall there's a nub on the clamp that needs to match a dimple in the pipe (or the other way around). Possible you didn't line these up, so the nub is keeping the clamp from sealing all the way around?

As soon as I read your reply I remembered hearing about that dimple. Just went out and checked, it was not lined up. It is now, and I will get to check it after I visit the dealership in the morning for some other parts.

Thank you so much, hopefully that was all it was.

Ahhh OK I thought you were writing about the header to head interface. Good that you've found and fixed it.

Nice catch K7GLE !

Back