• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2011 r1200 gs oil change?

2011coachtim43

I bought a used 2011 R1200 GS and am going to change the oil for the first time with Synthetic Oil. I was told I have a dry clutch and I can use regular synthetic oil used for cars(which is cheaper) is this a good idea, or should I use Synthetic motorcycle oil? There are also several different weights of oil, does anyone recommend a certain one, or brand? Any suggestions on where to buy? Thanks Tim

I bought a used 2011 R1200 GS and am going to change the oil for the first time with Synthetic Oil. I was told I have a dry clutch and I can use regular synthetic oil used for cars(which is cheaper) is this a good idea, or should I use Synthetic motorcycle oil? There are also several different weights of oil, does anyone recommend a certain one, or brand? Any suggestions on where to buy? Thanks Tim

You will get replies of both yes and no. I say - find the exact specification for your year and model - then match that specification with the oil you put in it. Until the latest models most car oils lacked sufficient wear additives for the flat cam follower designs of the BMW engines.

I've used Mobil 1 15w-50 in my R1200 for a while. Meets the specs, has high zink levels and available reasonably priced in five quart jugs at your local Wal-Mart.

You will get replies of both yes and no. I say - find the exact specification for your year and model - then match that specification with the oil you put in it. Until the latest models most car oils lacked sufficient wear additives for the flat cam follower designs of the BMW engines.

Thanks for your help

It's an expensive European motorcycle, which is fun, and it's equally fun for me to put expensive European motor oil in it. Motorex Boxer 4T (it's green), although I'm thinking of going with Liqui Moly in all my vehicles.

I actually think it's a little funny to pinch pennies when one owns one the most expensive motorcycles there is. Fun on the financial edge? Seems the truly economy minded would be on one of the Kawasaki refrigerators, KLR, Concours, etc.

No offense, of course ... to each his/her own.

I actually think it's a little funny to pinch pennies when one owns one the most expensive motorcycles there is.

I'm not sure the OP is trying to pinch pennies. He seems to be asking advice on which synthetic oil to use.

Like K12LTS, I used Mobil 1 15W-50 for years due to its high additive ratios. I've recently switched to Mobil 1 20W-50 Motorcycle oil. Both are in range according to my manual. I can't think of a good reason why I switched apart from the fact it says "Motorcycle" on the label. :laugh

Listen to Mr. Glaves - his experience is beyond repute.

I'm not sure the OP is trying to pinch pennies. He seems to be asking advice on which synthetic oil to use.

Like K12LTS, I used Mobil 1 15W-50 for years due to its high additive ratios. I've recently switched to Mobil 1 20W-50 Motorcycle oil. Both are in range according to my manual. I can't think of a good reason why I switched apart from the fact it says "Motorcycle" on the label. :laugh

Listen to Mr. Glaves - his experience is beyond repute.

+1 on Paul's suggestion regarding following the specs. You can't go wrong following the mfr's (or Paul's) recommendation.

FWIW, some twin-cam engines around that year had oil consumption issues from new. If you have one of those, you might not want use synthetic until oil usage drops to a reasonable amount, but that might not be until 30,000 miles or more are on the odometer. I've been told BMW considers anything better than 800 miles per quart “normal” for these engines.

As a side note, I've ridden KLRs and Concours and consider them solid, practical and fun motorcycles regardless of cost. The people that buy them appear to be decent folk as well and don't seem to suffer from status anxiety in spite of their less expensive rides. In fact, some are even proud of the lower cost of ownership!

If any non-BMW owners are reading this thread as guests they should know that most BMW riders do appreciate and respect other brands.

Shell rotella T6 in the proper weight
Or Castrol fully synthetic motorcycle oil in proper weight
Shell is avaible at Walmart
Castrol, cycle gear online free shipping

Back