• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2016 K1600gtl engine stalled after winter hibernation

spiritrider51

2016 K1600gtl engine stalled after winter hibernation
2016 K1600GTL 4,400 miles. Winterized for about 6 months. Took out for warm up ride to change oil. Took about a minute to start and idled kind of erratic. Engine stalled about 4 miles out of town. Attempted start, engine turns over, engine check icon came on, no codes.
Suggestions please,
Peace.

You used fuel stabilizer I presume? Maybe condensation in fuel? Try can of heet, fuel system dryer.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Procedures performed

Siphoned about 5 gallons of gas from tank and added marine grade Sta-Bil and no-ethanol gas. Bike idled pretty smoothly for about 15 minutes then started hiccuping til it stopped and does not start.
Ran all possible tests with my GS-911, all system working, no fault codes found.
Now what?
Peace.

I'll take it off your hands for $500......... kidding. Fuel, Air, Spark start there, surprised one of the "K" bike guru's hasn't weighed in yet.

Still sounds fuel related to me, if the fuel is good, possibility that a critter has nested in the intake or one of the fuel tank vents?

2016 k1600gtl engine stalled after winter hibernation
2016 k1600gtl 4,400 miles. Winterized for about 6 months. Took out for warm up ride to change oil. Took about a minute to start and idled kind of erratic. Engine stalled about 4 miles out of town. Attempted start, engine turns over, engine check icon came on, no codes.
Suggestions please,
peace.

funny story my 2016 k 1600 gtle went in for a header pipe that failed i got it back wont start to the point of a dead battery .once it does its not running on 6 clys 40 sec. Later it smooths out and runs great thay picked it back up changed plugs coils it still doesnt start bmw has made this months payment witch is nice .but i have bought a temp sencor cause i own a car repaire shop that is one part that can read temp to high or low and not set a code ill let you know how it does

Chevron Techron

Or Seafoam and take it out for a good long run. When the tank gets almost to empty, fill it with fresh gas

Chevron Textron

Not Chevron WITH Textron, Chevron Textron. Use 1/2 the bottle and run the tank to reserve, Fill up and put in the rest of the bottle. A good long run will usually clear things up.

Best, Bill

Sounds fuel/delivery related.
But I'd check the air box.
Mickey and Minnie may have made a home there choking off the air flow.

Joe

These problems after storage seem to always be related to 3 possible things. 1. Fuel 2. Battery 3, Coil
If the gas is old, replace it.
If the battery wasn't on a trickle charger, replace it.
If the bike idles crappy, find out which coil is bad and replace it.

And a 4th that is always a possibility after storage, a rodent got into the wiring

Back