Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Changing tires on a bike with TPMS

Quote Originally Posted by beemermyke View Post
    Yesterday I attempted to mount a set of Continental Road Attacks on my GSA rims. Unfortunately, with that beefy "lip" on the spoked wheels, my old Coats 200 Cycler manual tire machine from the 1970s was not up to the job (it could not grab this type of rim properly). I did manage to get the front tire on, but the back tire will be impossible with my current tire changing rig. For those of you that have done tire changes on these monster GS wheels, what are you using? I'm looking at the mid-priced No-Mar on their website, so I was considering that. Tomorrow I'll take it to the local non-BMW shop, and I'll tell them to be mindful of the tire pressure sensor on the wheel. First time I've had to have someone else change a tire in a long time!
    I've been using a NoMar Classic for six years and recently changed the tires on my 2017 GSA with TPMS for the first time; had no difficulties. If you go the No Mar route, then I recomend getting the optional Posi-Clamp system for clamping the rim. I've been using the same standard sized spools on the Posi-Clamps since I got the machine. When the time comes to replace them I will likely try the tall spools to accommodate the GSA rims a bit better. The standard size worked well enough once the rim was in place, but it was a bit fiddley getting the rim clamped. I also recommend getting the NoMar Yellowthing Bead Keeper. I use two and find they make installing tires much easier. And lastly, I use a set of tire warmers designed for road racers to preheat the tires. The warmers get the tires too hot to handle without gloves, much warmer than the put them in the sunlight technique, and they go on much easier.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

akbeemer has it dead on. I've been using a No-Mar Classic for about 10 years. When I got my GSA, I had to buy a set of Posi-Clamps with tall spools to accommodate the spoked rim and knobby tires. They work very well at holding the rim. I've been swapping back and forth between Anakee IIIs for long road trips and TKC80s for local "playing" in gravel, dirt, etc. The Yellowthing is a game change when it comes to keeping the bead in place. I had No-Mar build me a "show plate" (30"x50" steel plate with 4 nuts welded to it) that I mount the pedestal on for changing/swapping tires. It's a great way to quickly set up and take down the changer. I also park on top of it (without the pedestal) to protect the garage floor from chipping when I use the center stand. Preheating the tire is a great tactic. Some of these rear tires with their stiff sidewalls are a beast. The guys at No-Mar (they're only a few miles from me) told me the Anakee III are one of their least favorites to mount because the sidewall is so stiff. I use a few pieces of 1"x2" as levers to push the sidewall down into the whe enough to get the bead over the rim when mounting the Anakee IIIs. I don't have near as much "trouble" with the TKC80s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Fastman
    '86 R65, '96 R1100RS, '04 K1200RS, '13 K1300S 30th Anniversary - SOLD
    '16 R1200GSA
    The most notable thing you can leave for posterity is your name...signed Anonymous

I've been using the No Mar tire changer for about 12 years and agree it works well and couldn't live without the Yellow Thing. But don't care for the installation tool, it takes a lot of width (tire to rim) making it hard to install. I've become a fan of the Mojo Lever https://www.mojotiretools.com/mojoweb.htm . Need to look into tire warmers, warm tires make all the difference IMHO.

Jay

I too do not use the mount/demount tool to mount tires; more trouble than it is worth. With a hot tire and two Yellowthings I can generally get the second bead to the point that it goes on with just a few uses of a lever.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Excellent advice all around! I know how much easier it is to change tires on a hot day, vs. a cold day, but I didn't even consider the tire warmers. I do have on of those yellow things... they're invaluable. I'll let the bike shop deal with it tomorrow, but I'll have a No-Mar setup the next time around. Maybe I'll put my old tire changer in a museum...
    Motorcycling is my passion because golf is far too dangerous!
    2016 R1200GSW