• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Coolant top up for 2016 R1200RT

217don

So I'm a little OCD about the coolant - level is only a bit above MIN (maybe less than a quarter of the way between MIN and MAX) so I thought I might add a bit before a long trip. I'd feel more comfortable if it were in the middle of the range. Anyone do this? How hard is it to get the plastic off? Any suggestions on an easy way to do this?

On hot days (85 degrees) on the interstate, bike shows 5 bars on the coolant temp side.

Bike has about 2000 miles.

Been there, done that. Easy to get the plastic off. Be easy with the panels - some of the tabs are fragile. While in there, look to see that the overflow hose is attached and the hose goes below the bike - mine didn't have that hose, but was an easy fix. Don't overfill - excess will get blown all over the back of the bike by the wind - just a pain to clean.

Been there, done that. Easy to get the plastic off. Be easy with the panels - some of the tabs are fragile. While in there, look to see that the overflow hose is attached and the hose goes below the bike - mine didn't have that hose, but was an easy fix. Don't overfill - excess will get blown all over the back of the bike by the wind - just a pain to clean.

Where did you get the coolant? Were you able to buy a quantity that was less than a gallon?

I need to top up before heading to Das Rally and since the BMW Motorrad dealer near me closed, I'm wondering if the coolant at the BMW Car dealer is the same stuff.

Where did you get the coolant? Were you able to buy a quantity that was less than a gallon?

I need to top up before heading to Das Rally and since the BMW Motorrad dealer near me closed, I'm wondering if the coolant at the BMW Car dealer is the same stuff.

The last time I bought coolant from the BMW dealer it was in a small bottle, probably 1 liter.
Car dealers probably carry the same coolant but I do not know for sure.

I bit the bullet and purchased a gallon of the BMW Motorad coolant. My understanding is that Prestone-whatever has a high silca formula and doesn't help the seals. Not that big of a deal to just get a gallon.

In the winter I'll do a full flush and will need more then, so it all works out.

A friend of mine had some - gallon size. I believe he got it from the dealer.

Interesting. At my 6K service the mechanic actually pointed out that he purposely leaves the coolant level near the min mark, but I can't remember why he said it was better for the bike.

Ski
'16 RT

Coolant Type

Any aluminum compatible coolant will work fine. I use Prestone pre-mix 50/50 (because it is available locally) and no problems.

Here in AZ, where is almost never freezes, a small top off can be done with just distilled water.

Back