• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2017 Iron Butt Rally

Amazing! They went (almost) everywhere. But no Alaska this year.

Yes, they sure did - even spent time where I grew up in the Peace River country of northwestern Alberta. Fun to watch and guess if the local landmarks you know about were the ones chosen in the Rally Book. And now I know the bikes meandering north and west of Winnipeg Manitoba was a giant mosquito featured a few clicks north of Teulon that Google Streetview does not show because it was mounted to a pre-existing stone monument after the Google car had surveyed the road.

I've uploaded a GPX file of the bonus locations to www.poi-factory.com. It is not showing yet but should soon. I guess someone has to approve it first. You should be able to search for Iron Butt 2017 to find it. When it shows up I will post more info on how to get it.

I know

Have great admiration for all the riders, to get to play in their game you have to be very tough good rider. On a nice hot day I can ride 4 or 5 hundred miles ( have to sleep a day or two afterward) to do twice that much or more 13 days in a row plus have to think and plan, they all could be honorary members of that greatest generation that went through WW2

Just found the Epilogue, posted July 20th:

http://ibr.wvi.com/ibr/_2017/2017IBR-Saturday-July-08-Epilog.pdf

And this from Dave McQueeney:

To clarify, "finishers" can refer to the number of people, or to the number
of motorcycles.
Here are the starting & finishing counts for both ...
-- Started: 107 motorcycles, 117 people (which included 61 Veterans,
and 56 Rookies)
-- Finished: 89 motorcycles, 97 people (52 Vets, 45 Rookies)
-- DNFs: 18 motorcycles, 20 people (9 Vets, 11 Rookies)

These counts agree with the numbers that scribe John Harrison reported in
his epilogue, as well as those in his 7-July report of final standings.

John's standings indicated 87 finisher places, but 41st place included
three tied riders, the 3-person team on separate motorcycles, so that was
89 finishing motorcycles. The finishers included six motorcycles with one
passenger each and one motorcycle with two passengers, so that was 97
finishing people.

The DNFs included two motorcycles with one passenger each.

Regards ... Dave

Last edited:
Back