Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Salt Lake City attendees

Quote Originally Posted by Voni View Post
    But it's a dry heat!

Voni
    sMiling
    The temp in my back yard (Gilbert AZ) this afternoon. It got down to about 7% a little later.

As someone pointed out, tho, it just means you bake instead of boil.

I sure hope it's cooler in SLC next week (forecast is for upper 90's according to the Weather Channel).

IMG_0565.jpg
    2004 R1150RT
    BMW MOA 181289

Ed Kilner #176066

e

When I left Idaho Springs CO this morning, bike said 14C, and later when I arrived in Grand Junction, bike said 34 C. My new Motorport mesh suit was too cold in the morning and too hot in the early afternoon.

I did have water with rehydration salts added, but should have taken water earlier. Was feeling the effects of the heat. Lesson learned.
    Ed
    2015 R1200RT; 2011 R1200RT RIP; 2000 Triumph 900 (sold)
    http://triumphantsblog.blogspot.ca/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I'm just not that tough - or ill informed.
    Naw...I knew it would be hot. Had business in Albuquerque before the Rally. Heading to SLC on Wednesday.

Quote Originally Posted by BMW Triumphant View Post
    When I left Idaho Springs CO this morning, bike said 14C, and later when I arrived in Grand Junction, bike said 34 C. My new Motorport mesh suit was too cold in the morning and too hot in the early afternoon.

I did have water with rehydration salts added, but should have taken water earlier. Was feeling the effects of the heat. Lesson learned.
    Ed, take it from an ex Ontario guy (Windsor) that you need to drink before you feel it. Almost force a big quantity of water down early. Definitely not Great Lakes/Ontario humidity.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________________
    After 27 (long) years off I'm back to riding - finally! Just bought a new 2017 F700GS in "Racing Red" - Loving it!

Quote Originally Posted by markaz View Post
    The temp in my back yard (Gilbert AZ) this afternoon. It got down to about 7% a little later.

As someone pointed out, tho, it just means you bake instead of boil.

I sure hope it's cooler in SLC next week (forecast is for upper 90's according to the Weather Channel).

IMG_0565.jpg
    We were at 103ish in Salt Lake today. Yup, high 90s for next week.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________________
    After 27 (long) years off I'm back to riding - finally! Just bought a new 2017 F700GS in "Racing Red" - Loving it!

Ed Kilner #176066

Yea, I'm Her

Not her, here. can't edit title.

I am in a motel in SLC and will set up tent tomorrow. It is 37 C. Not in the room though!
    Ed
    2015 R1200RT; 2011 R1200RT RIP; 2000 Triumph 900 (sold)
    http://triumphantsblog.blogspot.ca/

Quote Originally Posted by BMW Triumphant View Post
    Not her, here. can't edit title.

I am in a motel in SLC and will set up tent tomorrow. It is 37 C. Not in the room though!
    99 degrees? Can you extend the reservation on the room?
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Heading out to Salt Lake City.

Me and a friend will be heading out tomorrow morning to Salt Lake City. I hope to make it to at least Dodge City, Ks. Anyone know of a good and cheap motel at Dodge City?

Thank you,

Joe skaggs

Quote Originally Posted by cleandog View Post
    Me and a friend will be heading out tomorrow morning to Salt Lake City. I hope to make it to at least Dodge City, Ks. Anyone know of a good and cheap motel at Dodge City?

Thank you,

Joe skaggs
    Miss Kitty runs a clean place.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Be careful out there boys and girls.

Rhonda and I are packed up, drinking our coffee, ready for our long flight to SLC. I've been watching the reports on heat and fires closely, and I've already been strategizing my activities and behaviors while there. As a security co chair I will have to make sure our security volunteers are well taken care of, I would like to be able to change them out more often if possible, we could definitely use some more security volunteers. Drinking, I think I am going to forgo all alcohol while there, as the effects of alcohol and the heat would be a really bad combination, I'm 50 now, getting fat, and not nearly in the shape I used to be. I also decided to pack my camelback, I think I'm going to need it, clothing options have changed, and we're bringing lots of sun screen.
    R. Reece Mullins Ebony R1200RT (Gretchen)
    MOA # 143779
    MOA Charter Club #5 and #364
    SECMOA (BMW MOA secretary)

Dress for fall & avoid it AlanColes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rangerreece View Post
    ... I've been watching the reports on ... fires closely, ...
    Is there a website or app that would be considered good to use for those on the road to keep abreast of developments. Far better to be able to route around a trouble spot than ride into it and have to backtrack.

I have the "Live Traffic" on my Nav-VI but the alerts are too small for my so-so vision to be able to read and identify what they are unfortunately.
    Regards, Alan - President BMWONS - MOA Charter Club #097, BMWMOA/BMWRA/BMWONS/Airheads
    Current: '14 R1200RT / '06 Ducati ST3s / '91 R100GS / '86 R80RT / '75 R90S / '73 850 & '70 750 Commando Prev: '04 R1150RT / '81 Honda GL1100 / '77 Suzuki GS750 / '73 Norton 850 Commando

Quote Originally Posted by cleandog View Post

Thank you,

Joe skaggs
    Nendels at the east edge of town on US 56. Down the hill past the airport and then a left turn into the motel just past the traffic signal.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

beatin the heat!

I found the best way to stay cool and comfortable was to ride at night. After the rally I rode up to Spokane, WA and then across Montana and Wyoming. After getting to Nebraska, I started riding at night back to Baton Rouge. GREAT decision. Rode in temps from 64 to 79. Light traffic and almost no wind in the plains states...Even thru Kansas.

Tino

Quote Originally Posted by AlanColes View Post
    Is there a website or app that would be considered good to use for those on the road to keep abreast of developments. Far better to be able to route around a trouble spot than ride into it and have to backtrack.

I have the "Live Traffic" on my Nav-VI but the alerts are too small for my so-so vision to be able to read and identify what they are unfortunately.
    Use the "WAZE" app (which is owned by Google) to get the best routes around traffic. I have it on an iPhone, but I it's available for Android too. See the URL: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...com.waze&hl=en
    John Gamel
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    BMW CCA 2006 - Present; BMW MOA 2009-Present
    Walt Kelly: "We have met the enemy, and he is us."

Bluenoser
    Body temp is normally around 97 F, so at any temps above that you have to provide some manner of cooling or you will quickly get into heat exhaustion/ heat stroke territory. Mess jackets work fine up to about 95 F but are not much help after that. Wearing some of the wicking clothing under your riding pants and jackets work very similar to cooling vests and your own evaporated sweat provides a cooling affect to your body.

Cooling vests are a real benefit in the heat. Also drink lots of water. You'll quickly find that you can drink all the water you want, and don't have to stop for a bathroom break.
    1995 R100Rt with Kenna Sidecar, 1998 VT1100T