• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Salt Lake City attendees

Yea, I'm Her

Not her, here. can't edit title.

I am in a motel in SLC and will set up tent tomorrow. It is 37 C. Not in the room though!

Heading out to Salt Lake City.

Me and a friend will be heading out tomorrow morning to Salt Lake City. I hope to make it to at least Dodge City, Ks. Anyone know of a good and cheap motel at Dodge City?

Thank you,

Joe skaggs

Me and a friend will be heading out tomorrow morning to Salt Lake City. I hope to make it to at least Dodge City, Ks. Anyone know of a good and cheap motel at Dodge City?

Thank you,

Joe skaggs

Miss Kitty runs a clean place.

Be careful out there boys and girls.

Rhonda and I are packed up, drinking our coffee, ready for our long flight to SLC. I've been watching the reports on heat and fires closely, and I've already been strategizing my activities and behaviors while there. As a security co chair I will have to make sure our security volunteers are well taken care of, I would like to be able to change them out more often if possible, we could definitely use some more security volunteers. Drinking, I think I am going to forgo all alcohol while there, as the effects of alcohol and the heat would be a really bad combination, I'm 50 now, getting fat, and not nearly in the shape I used to be. I also decided to pack my camelback, I think I'm going to need it, clothing options have changed, and we're bringing lots of sun screen.

... I've been watching the reports on ... fires closely, ...
Is there a website or app that would be considered good to use for those on the road to keep abreast of developments. Far better to be able to route around a trouble spot than ride into it and have to backtrack.

I have the "Live Traffic" on my Nav-VI but the alerts are too small for my so-so vision to be able to read and identify what they are unfortunately.

Thank you,

Joe skaggs

Nendels at the east edge of town on US 56. Down the hill past the airport and then a left turn into the motel just past the traffic signal.

beatin the heat!

I found the best way to stay cool and comfortable was to ride at night. After the rally I rode up to Spokane, WA and then across Montana and Wyoming. After getting to Nebraska, I started riding at night back to Baton Rouge. GREAT decision. Rode in temps from 64 to 79. Light traffic and almost no wind in the plains states...Even thru Kansas.

Tino

Is there a website or app that would be considered good to use for those on the road to keep abreast of developments. Far better to be able to route around a trouble spot than ride into it and have to backtrack.

I have the "Live Traffic" on my Nav-VI but the alerts are too small for my so-so vision to be able to read and identify what they are unfortunately.

Use the "WAZE" app (which is owned by Google) to get the best routes around traffic. I have it on an iPhone, but I it's available for Android too. See the URL: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.waze&hl=en

Body temp is normally around 97 F, so at any temps above that you have to provide some manner of cooling or you will quickly get into heat exhaustion/ heat stroke territory. Mess jackets work fine up to about 95 F but are not much help after that. Wearing some of the wicking clothing under your riding pants and jackets work very similar to cooling vests and your own evaporated sweat provides a cooling affect to your body.

Cooling vests are a real benefit in the heat. Also drink lots of water. You'll quickly find that you can drink all the water you want, and don't have to stop for a bathroom break.

Body temp is normally around 97 F, so at any temps above that you have to provide some manner of cooling or you will quickly get into heat exhaustion/ heat stroke territory. Mess jackets work fine up to about 95 F but are not much help after that. Wearing some of the wicking clothing under your riding pants and jackets work very similar to cooling vests and your own evaporated sweat provides a cooling affect to your body.

Cooling vests are a real benefit in the heat. Also drink lots of water. You'll quickly find that you can drink all the water you want, and don't have to stop for a bathroom break.

I picked up one of the cooling vests that Moto Skiveez was selling at their booth during the SLC rally. I had to leave the rally on Saturday and rode straight through to my home in Bend, OR. Temps stayed right around 98 degrees for a significant part of the trip.

I couldn't believe what a difference the vest made..wow. It stayed plenty damp after 2 hours of riding (that's typically when I will take a break) and the cooling effect was substantial, so substantial that the temp I was seeing on my gauge didn't even remotely correspond to how I was feeling. It literally felt about 70 degrees inside my jacket.

I'm a believer.

This is the same principle used in a "swamp cooler". These were the way people survived here in the valley of the sun before air conditioning was widely used. Physics is our friend! :thumb

... Physics is our friend! :thumb
Absolutely.

I took my Rev"IT Liquid Cooling Vest along with me for the ride from Denver to SLC and back. Did the ride from SLC to Denver on Monday and keep the damp vest in a plastic bag in my luggage until my lunch stop. Took it into the restaurant with me to put on after my meal for the ride into Denver. When I opened the bag the vest was quite warm from the sun hitting the vario cases on the GS and I thought "boy this is going to be bad", but decided to give it a shot as I knew the benefit of riding with it when I'd put it on cold/cool, but had never put it on warm and figured this would be a major test of the wicking effects.

Sure enough, within a few moments of riding I was getting the desired cooling effect and that worked all the rest of the way to Denver (about 4 hours). Got snarled up in heavy stop-n-go traffic outside Vale due to road construction but that was the only time there wasn't enough air movement to provide cooling.

I use mine over LD Comfort long base-layer top and bottoms and under my BMW AirFLow suit. Makes for a very good overall system.

Back