• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

First time long distance... nervous!

FYI, I just noticed that the Sena 3S is now $89 from Revzilla. So an even lower cost, firmware upgradeable, quality product that makes it pretty tough to look in other directions.

Thanks man, I almost bought it! But then I started reading reviews and started wondering about how speakers are going to fit and sound in my helmet - and long story short - I'm going to now buy a Shoei Qwest helmet, which has speaker cutouts and by all accounts is much quieter. I am returning the HJC I bought anyway as it was too small, so now will just spend an extra $200 lol. Can I blame you for that? ;-)

Anyway, I'm may try that Sena, true, hard to beat the price! But my budget is getting blown and I haven't even hit the road yet.

Took the bike to mechanic today and he liked it overall. Needs a new front tire and doing oil/filter change, he said oil looked pretty dirty so recommended another change fairly soon. There's a bit of a starting issue, doesn't fire right up and needs that idle lever on for a good 5-10 minutes from cold, then idles a bit low maybe. He wondered about a clogged fuel injector if I heard him right.

Does anyone have feedback on this tankbag and whether it will fit my R1150RT? Looking at handlebars they seem close to the tank.. I'm thinking I will remove the bar risers as I have long arms anyway, and that might help push the bars forward again, but will also lower them at the same time, so not sure. Love this bags waterproof and backpack design though, even without clear map pocket, which I don't think i need.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06X3W5Q5P/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I3J7MJOGKQ0RB4&colid=3Q968U2GOXDHT

I also want to say for the record that while I think I will enjoy this bike, my heart is really with the gorgeous maroon '74 R90/6 that is for sale locally. I talked myself out of it for a cross country trip as it has no fairing and no luggage, but damn I'm kind of regretting it! I didn't ride it, but it started right up and sounded great. New tires, recent tune-up. $3500. I have to keep talking myself out of switching!

Last edited:
I talked myself out of it for a cross country trip as it has no fairing and no luggage, but damn I'm kind of regretting it!

Don't worry. Once you get rolling on your long trip with the new Oiler, you won't have any regrets.

Mostly plan to hammock camp, but may end up in a hotel or two if things work out that way. Have people to visit in Memphis and Boulder, CO. Anyway, I have a ton of questions I'm trying to sort out and if anyone has any input I'd love to hear it!

DG

Welcome back to the sport and safe travels.

If it helps I've used a hammock tent for about 10 years and find it very convenient and comfortable. Upside is that it is compact & light weight, does away with the need for a ground roll/air mattress, and gets you off the ground and away from rain puddles, critters & insects. Downside is that you obviously need 2 trees or posts (although I have hung it when camping under the cover of a pick-nic shelter) and therefor it may not be a good choice for travelling thru the south-west. As well there is very limited storage space inside - I keep my riding gear and helmet inside but there is little room for anything else.

Don't worry. Once you get rolling on your long trip with the new Oiler, you won't have any regrets.
I'm sure you are right!

Welcome back to the sport and safe travels.

If it helps I've used a hammock tent for about 10 years and find it very convenient and comfortable. Upside is that it is compact & light weight, does away with the need for a ground roll/air mattress, and gets you off the ground and away from rain puddles, critters & insects. Downside is that you obviously need 2 trees or posts (although I have hung it when camping under the cover of a pick-nic shelter) and therefor it may not be a good choice for travelling thru the south-west. As well there is very limited storage space inside - I keep my riding gear and helmet inside but there is little room for anything else.
Yeah, I camped a bunch last summer using a hammock, and rarely had trouble finding a spot to hang from ;-) I got very good at quick set-up and take down, including a tarp placed diagonally above the hammock, which kept me nicely dry in heavy rain. And my hammock has a built in bug net. I even hung one end off my car once in a pinch!

Just go and don't worry, a cross country motorcycle trip is something most folks only dream about. Be glad you are going and enjoy every mile.

Update

Hi guys, my trip is going well, hears a quickyrecap so far:
First day out of New Orleans, hit thunderstorms in baton rouge, where I had stopped for breakfast. Tried to wait it out, but got antsy, so donned the rain gear and rode through it, done in a hour. BMW rain suit performed well. Ditto boot covers and first gear gloves. Made it to Natchez by 1pm and caught a tour of a cool old estate house, Melrose estate. Then got on the Natchez Trace and made a few hours north to a dumpy campground.

Next day was mostly on the Trace, and it's wonderful riding, little traffic, no lights or cross traffic, well maintained road, all greenery and nature in both sides. I'd highly recommend it!

This is where my butt started to hurt though. Ugh, it's bad.

Made Memphis and hung out with friends for a few days. Then made for the Ozark national Forest, ended up riding way into a camp site on a gravel road, was nervous but made it in and out ok. Beautiful camp site and I was the only one there!

Spent the next 1/2 day riding thorough the Ozarks and that was awesome! Such lovely twisties! Then a slug up through Oklahoma to Bartlesville where I stayed at the Price Tower, designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, very cool place. Then today just 2.5 hour ride to Great Salt Plain state park. Camped on a lake, again I'm the only one here!?

Short ride today because of my butt. It hurts. A lot. I'm going to make another post about it and seek solutions and advice.

Attachments

• IMG_20170729_070335.jpg
    IMG_20170729_070335.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_20170804_085854.jpg
    IMG_20170804_085854.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 74
update

I've made it to the west coast, it's been a great trip. Lots of scenic riding, minimal interstate time. Colorado was beautiful, and even Nevada was pleasant. temps were down when I made my way west, actually hottest temps so far have been in California! But I haven't needed to spend much time in them, mostly on the coast. Smoke is brutal though, from numerous wildfires.

I'm heading up to Portland today, supposedly less smoke up there. I need to do an oil change, if anyone has the time to help I'll buy you lunch. I've never done one on this bike myself and don't have a pan etc. I'm sure I can figure it out, but it would be nice to meet some PDX bimmer folks!

PS bought a Russell all day seat in Redding, was lucky they had an etar sitting around for my bike and my size! It's a world of difference, sooo comfortable.

Back