• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Heat on feet. 2016 f700 gs twin

Yes, I know exactly what your talking about. For me it's the left side. I placed a piece of leather on left side to act as a deterrent to break up the flow so it isn't so much like a blast furnace air flow. Still hot but not second degree burn hot tub

???

Yes, I know exactly what your talking about. For me it's the left side. I placed a piece of leather on left side to act as a deterrent to break up the flow so it isn't so much like a blast furnace air flow. Still hot but not second degree burn hot tub

where did you place it? can you post a pic? i'm quite curious. Thanx!

Odd, I have never felt heat on my feet on the 7GS.:scratch

Me too.

My former 2004 FJR1300 was legendary for heat.

My former Victory Vision was better than the FJR but was still hot, especially at low speeds or stopped (no surprise).

Curious. For those who do, or don't feel heat on the feet, what type/style of boot are you wearing?

Do you think the deflector you added is affecting the flow of cooling air over the engine? Does it run hotter?

Not that I can tell. The temp. Gauge stays right where its always been. Doesn't stop the flow of air just diffuses it takes keep from blasting in continuous flow. Boot still gets warm but not burning hot. Really it's only needed when running between 70-80 mph. The engine really throws off some btu's at that speed.

Curious. For those who do, or don't feel heat on the feet, what type/style of boot are you wearing?

Boots: BMW All Round and BMW Sneakers

Pants: BMW City Pants and Tourshell Pants

I don't have heat problems with any of these.

I'll offer a thought you'll probably dismiss as being wacky. But I'll offer it anyway.

What if the sense of heat is not so much driven by actual temperature hitting your leg or feet...but is really a reaction of the body to the contrast of the temperature being felt on the side of the leg/foot next to the engine and the temperature being felt on the outside where cooler air hits it?

I was very interested in how hot my F800GT would get as I rode through some temps near 100F a couple weeks ago. And it wasn't just a quickie ride to the corner store, but all day riding. I'd feel either leg get hot. Uncomfortably hot at times. It was always the downwind side where the cross-winds would force the air to predominately exit off the engine. So I put my hand down ...and couldn't feel anything other than just warm metal or air. Nothing hot. On the other hand, the outside of the leg would be in air that was markedly cooler. If the air coming off the engine was at 100F, and the air flowing on the outside of the leg was 75...you'd feel a difference.

I would've thought also that when I was riding in stop and go traffic at 99.5F, that I'd feel the engine heat. Nah. It was no worse than at 70F. The difference was that my whole body was hot, and the heat off the engine wasn't even registering to my mind.

Chris

I'll qualify my remarks. Below about 65 mph I have no discomfort. Only when hitting above 65 mph and definitely 75 or more produces a lot a engine heat flowing into n a concentrated stream n my left leg. Really don't that different boots or pants would make a difference.

Back