Thread: '16 R1200RT - rough starts - reset all settings

Southern NH

'16 R1200RT - rough starts - reset all settings

Every third/fourth/fifth start of my bike it seems to struggle. I have not been able to see a pattern (AM starts, long delays, warm/cold ...) but once ever three or four or five times I hit the start button and it sounds like its struggling to start and then usually kicks over. This morning however, it stopped attempting to start, the display went blank - then the RT logo came on. All my prior settings (show speed, temp, shift) were lost. Press start again and it kicks right over.

Anyone else have a similar occasional 'rough start' on their R1200RT?

Thanks

I had a similar problem where starting caused loss of settings; as a result, pulled out battery cleaned terminals tighten and checked local cable terminal. Seems when someone put on a SAE outlet cord (maybe dealer) and plug they failed to do a good job tightening terminals. No more loss of display and setup and that was just few weeks after new for my 2016 R12RT.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    John Sherman
    Tacoma WA USA
    2016 R120RT
    ////

Quote Originally Posted by nhhandyman View Post
    Every third/fourth/fifth start of my bike it seems to struggle. I have not been able to see a pattern (AM starts, long delays, warm/cold ...) but once ever three or four or five times I hit the start button and it sounds like its struggling to start and then usually kicks over. This morning however, it stopped attempting to start, the display went blank - then the RT logo came on. All my prior settings (show speed, temp, shift) were lost. Press start again and it kicks right over.

Anyone else have a similar occasional 'rough start' on their R1200RT?

Thanks
    The fact that everything was "reset" sounds like an electrical connection to me.
    2016 R1200RT
    2007 KTM 450 XC-W
    2005 R1200RT (2/2015 - 12/2016)
    1985 Yamaha XJ 700 Maxim (7/1989 - 9/1991)

Southern NH
    I have yet to check the battery connections - after the 'run' today I'll check that out.

Its quicker than a ride to Max (in NH).

I've had a weak battery cause these same symptoms in the past. New battery cured the problem.
    Ed Kruse
    '16 R1200RT Ebony
    Naples FL
    "Just Kruse'n"

Southern NH
    I was thinking weak battery also - however - this is NEW - unless of course the 'used bike' dealer National Powersport didn't put a new battery in it when they prepped it for me. I bought it from Second Wind - National Powersports did the prep. - Ya I won't stop bitching about Second Wind not giving me a clue that they were selling out two weeks after I bought the bike (before it got delivered).

New batteries are not necessarily GOOD batteries. I've had a couple that did not make it to the 3 month mark.
    Best to get it tested to verify.
    Ed Kruse
    '16 R1200RT Ebony
    Naples FL
    "Just Kruse'n"

Southern NH

I have yet to check the battery but...

This is a video of what it sounds like. Since I have been paying attention - this only occurs in the morning after its been sitting (on the side-stand) for longer than 9 hours (because it doesn't do it when I leave work).

It hasn't done the 'reset all settings' thing again (only once).

This is a video of what it sounds like. Since I have been paying attention - this only occurs in the morning after its been sitting (on the side-stand) for longer than 9 hours (because it doesn't do it when I leave work).

It seems like you have the "2nd try" syndrome. On my 2016 RT, if I shut it down using the main power switch (not the handlebar kill switch), the next morning it will just sit and grind the first time I try to start it. Then always fires right up on the second try. If I shut it down using the kill switch, it will start the next morning on the first try. This doesn't occur if doing a restart in a short time, only overnight. Others have noted the same issue.

My 2016 R1200RTW has improved cold morning startup if I blip the throttle after ignition on but before the start button press.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    John Sherman
    Tacoma WA USA
    2016 R120RT
    ////

Southern NH
    With my R1200C - I NEVER used the kill switch.

This only became a concern when it did a reset of most of my user preferences.

My bike has never done that (thankfully). It definitely doesn't seem right.

I have heard that non ethanol gas can result in a hard start, but knowing where you're from, I don't know where you can find non ethanol gas, so I doubt your running that.
    2016 R1200RT
    2007 KTM 450 XC-W
    2005 R1200RT (2/2015 - 12/2016)
    1985 Yamaha XJ 700 Maxim (7/1989 - 9/1991)