• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1998 K1200RS Battery

cpo252

This bike is about to drive me insane. Bought it in February and put a few hundred miles on it. Needed tires so I took the wheels off and had them mounted. Put them back on and also checked the air filter while I was at it. Put it back together and it wouldn't start. Told it was probably the fuel actuator so I replaced it today. Still wanted to idle rough so I pulled the fuel filter and cleaned it out. Reassembled again and it started right up. I let it idle up to operating temp with no issues. Cut it off and let it cool down. Had an errand to run so I hooked it up to my battery tender (which I do with all mine when they're not being used) also filled up my gas can and brought it back. Added a couple of gallons and when I turned the key my battery was flat? It had blown two fuses also. I did have it still hooked to the tender when I turned the key. Replaced the fuses and hooked it to a regular charger. It's been on the charger for over 3 hours now and still is not taking a charge. What the hell have I done? Thanks for any help I can get.

Note to self: don't turn the bike on while it's attached to the battery tender. $110 lesson learned 🤦*♂️

There has been a few times I have forgotten to unplug the charger before starting without any problems :dunno

A lot of times I have turned the key on while connected to the charger to check something on the dash and never blew a fuse.

k1200 rs battery

a battery tender (2amp) should NOT blow any fuses - a charger @ 10+amps might - but still should NOT. - do u have a inline fuse on battery tender + leed ?.
if battery is toast - u - might have - fried the tender - ck its output volts- no more than 13.4 ish.
i'd think u have a short somewhere . trace circuits of blown fuses - for shorts, even if u have to go into main fuse/ relay box - & pull main harness connectors &/ or relays - till ohm short stops.
on e bay look for "chrome battery co". & get a new AMG battery for $35 20amp - 2 yr warranty - they work great & they ship fast - no core charge

I'll second the "you've got a short" opinion. Blown fuses and a dead battery say the electricity is going places it shouldn't.
Start looking for pinched wires, most likely in the areas you've just worked (assuming these problems didn't exist before you did your wrenching).

How many miles on the bike?

Back