• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Replacement Rotors ?

harryrange

I am in need of new rotors for my 2009 K1300 GT. The existing ones pulsate and have been checked and are out of spec. Do any of you have a recommendation for what brand of rotor to get as a replacement ? and then pads as well.

Well, I did not get any suggestions so ended up with Galfer Wave Rotors as recommended by my Beemer shop. Next question is ... does anyone know what the torque numbers are for the rotor mounting bolts ? Actually I would love to know where to find all the torque nut and bolt specs. Thanks for any advice.

Next question is ... does anyone know what the torque numbers are for the rotor mounting bolts ? Actually I would love to know where to find all the torque nut and bolt specs. Thanks for any advice.

Get yourself a shop manual. All torque numbers will be in there. Or ask your dealer.

I use the numbers from my R1200 Camhead Hayes manual if the parts look identical. Otherwise I take it to the shop for more complex maintenance.
I only do FD and brakes on my K1300. Too lazy to remove all that plastic.

WOW, that was hard to read.

Front wheel brake disc is 19NM diagonally opposite sequence in stages.

Rear brake disc is 12NM diagonally opposite sequence in stages in the first tightening, second tightening is 30NM.

Actually I am now in warranty discussions with my supplier and Galfer as they are pulsating. I have about 5000 km. on them in 4 months. They did so from the moment I mounted them. Not terrible at first, but worse now. I removed them once and tripled checked for any mounting irregularities, dirt, stacking of washers, etc. Did not make any difference. There were new Galfer pads as well. So stay tuned to see what Galfer says. If they take care of me then I will be happy. Sometimes it happens that the factory produces a poor one. That is not a big deal, stuff happens. But how it is handled after the fact is what defines a good company.

Actually I am now in warranty discussions with my supplier and Galfer as they are pulsating.

1. Are these the DF707W discs?

2. 20 years ago I had a similar issue with Galfer discs except mine were pulsing immediately upon installation. They were replaced quickly and at no charge. The replacement ones were fine. I subsequently bought a set for a different bike and they were excellent.

3. I've had a set on a third bike (whose brakes get a workout) for a few thousand kilometers and they're also fine.

Back