• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2010 R1200RT Front Fork Slider Replacement

Hi,
How difficult is it to change the front fork lower slider on a R1200RT? I looked through the tech library and didn't see any info, so I was curious how big a job this was and if I wanted to take it on. Looks like removal of tires, brakes sensors, fender and maybe an oil seal, but not much else. Anyone done this one?
Thanks,
Jerry

Do you mean replace the slider or the seal?

The process is about the same, so look up seal replacement.

Replace the slider. But since it's out I may replace the seal while I'm there. Thanks for the info. I'll go look that up.
Jerry

Oil for front forks.

I haven't scoured my haynes manual yet for oil change intervals for front forks. So far, mine are not leaking, but wondering if there's an age or estimated mileage interval that one should change fork oil. Any idea what weight oil and volume goes into each fork leg?

I haven't scoured my haynes manual yet for oil change intervals for front forks. So far, mine are not leaking, but wondering if there's an age or estimated mileage interval that one should change fork oil. Any idea what weight oil and volume goes into each fork leg?

No official BMW recommendation... but some oil is better than no oil, and clean oil is better than dirty oil... :brad

I have noted: "RepROM, 5th edition, 2/2007 says .45 liter per leg for the K26 0388 model R1200RT. 10 weight oil."

y'all realize this thread is over 2 years old...right...?

:scratch

Not Marlens post:wave

There is minimal oil in the forks as they do no dampening, just lubrications of sliders.
If not leaking,I would leave be. I only check or change if someone has a long leaking seal

For some topics (for me this would be technical how-to discussions) it makes to revive older threads rather than have multiple ones on the same topic. Easier to find what you're looking for instead of having to read 5 different threads on the subject.

My Clymer manual, page 11-46 states the following, 10W oil (presumably fork oil) for all models as follows:

GS/GSA 650 ml
R 460 ml
RT 450 ml
S 600 ml
ST 650 ml

However, my Haynes manual lists following on page 4-1, 10W telescopic fork oil

GS/GSA/ST .65 L
RT .62 L
S .6 L
R .46 L

Note the difference for RT models, not sure what to make of that. Neither manual specifies how often but I recall reading somewhere to change oil annually.

Neither manual specifies how often but I recall reading somewhere to change oil annually.

I agree with Steve, there's no reason to change the fork oil on that model since it does not provide damping.

Back