• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

new RT

rajackson

IMG_1436.jpg

My new RT :)

Traded in my 2014 and drove off with this beauty. Seems to me the shifting is much smoother on the 2017, Im not sure if this was a design improvement or just luck of the draw.

(original post had blue tooth questions, got it sorted after many trial and error attempts so I edited the post to remove that content)

cheers
Ron

Last edited:
Congratulations!

Ron,

I didn't know there was a white option on the RT. It looks nice and I hope all your miles are safe and happy!

Chris

... My new RT ... Seems to me the shifting is much smoother on the 2017, Im not sure if this was a design improvement or just luck of the draw...
It is my understanding that there were subtle improvements made to the tranny for 2017, but can't recall exactly all that was entailed.

Ron,

I didn't know there was a white option on the RT. It looks nice and I hope all your miles are safe and happy!

Chris
Yes and it really stands out.

Here's a graphics package that a BMW in Gyor, Hungary is offering:
tamas-jakus-1a.jpg

Last edited:
Ron - that beauty is crying out for some blue, forward flashing LEDs. Even without the LEDs, and if you were riding in the US, your trips down the far-left lane on Interstates would probably be a lot faster than usual. Of course, that would only last until the bikes/cars with the (legal) blue lights spotted you.

I think the transmission for the 2017s had a "judder damper" installed in the drivetrain. Seems it's supposed to make everything smoother.

Have fun!

Ron - that beauty is crying out for some blue, forward flashing LEDs. Even without the LEDs, and if you were riding in the US, your trips down the far-left lane on Interstates would probably be a lot faster than usual. Of course, that would only last until the bikes/cars with the (legal) blue lights spotted you.

I think the transmission for the 2017s had a "judder damper" installed in the drivetrain. Seems it's supposed to make everything smoother.

Have fun!

Ive already noticed some drivers checking their speed on the 3 hour highway drive home. I've been thinking that it could be a good thing, people taking notice of the bike. But on the other hand I have a friend who used to drive ambulance and he spoke of many drivers making erratic decisions when discovering an emergency vehicle in the proximity. Time will tell I guess. For now I'm loving it!

As far as the new damper on the 2017, Id say it makes a marked improvement, very happy with the silky shifting.

It is my understanding that there were subtle improvements made to the tranny for 2017, but can't recall exactly all that was entailed.

Yes and it really stands out.

Here's a graphics package that a BMW in Gyor, Hungary is offering:
View attachment 62243

Thanks Alan

The link to the graphics package not working. I'd like to have a look but I kinda like the clean look of the white/black contrast as it is.

I think I fixed the link now Ron.

Know what you mean. A club member of ours just bought the twin to yours and feels exactly the same way, there is a very clean look to the bike as it is. The more often I see it in person (twice now for his and twice for showroom bikes) the more it grows on me. I've got the 2014 Quartz Blue which I like a lot, bu the white has a special feel to it.

I am buying white 2017 R1200 RT to add to my modest BMW herd. I thought about a white 2017 R1200RT-P, but the cost is prohibitive - like about $6K more without all the police do-dads over the regular RT, and it's a 3-4 month special order.

2017-rt.jpg

I had to buy a white one 4 weeks ago because they did not make a red one for the US.......

I like the white one, which is why I am buying one.

The U.K. iconic red one is breath taking. But I would be shocked and surprised if BMW offered it here for 2018.

[My new RT :)

Traded in my 2014 and drove off with this beauty. Seems to me the shifting is much smoother on the 2017, Im not sure if this was a design improvement or just luck of the draw.

(original post had blue tooth questions, got it sorted after many trial and error attempts so I edited the post to remove that content)

cheers
Ron[/QUOTE]

Congrats. I got the (black &) white as well last month. Great choice & happy trails.

2016 "iconic" red RT only available in the U.K.

Here's what Japan had in 2016 for the 100 year celebration.
I like the 2017 plain white or the Iconic UK paint better.

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/w6NkUqpjk4Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
... Here what Japan had in 2016 for the 100 year celebration.
I like the 2017 plain white or the Iconic UK paint better...
I agree the "stock" white is nice looking. It also, for me, looks nicer in real life than the pictures can convey.

Lee, I'm not keen on the Japanese rendition either, but, I do like the Hungarian take that I posted earlier.(https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?89423-new-RT&p=1093639&viewfull=1#post1093639).

Back