• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Nova Scotia and the Atlantic Maritimes Eateries

72r60/7

Planning to return to Nova Scotia next year ('18) and maybe Newfoundland again plus PEI. Sure are some nice coffee shops, breakfast cafes, local lunch spots, Seafood places and Bakery's up and over there.

I'm not trying to get y'all to help with planning, as for me that's part of the touring experience. I don't really plan much when touring anyway, especially since retirement. But sometimes it nice to know that a nice bakery (etc.) is one block over from the way you went when you go through a community. Or it's better to go this way cause the locals said so. I always ask the locals.

I've been thataway way 5-6 times since the mid 80's and just think the whole experience was always first class touring (for us) and the folks could not have been more ......... everything good. First class they are.

Mussels in Shelburne, Digby Scallops or that Bakery in that community South of Red Bay in Labrador, all come to mind when it's time for a break. Tim Hortons is perfect anytime, especially if it's cold and rainy.

So how bout if you have been this year, planning to go, or are a regular visitor not to mention a local, send your suggestions for all. I won't judge or criticize.

Bike friendly Accommodations are also welcomed by my wife as she's in charge of Lodging. I'm in charge of Transportation and Navigation.

Wonderful riding there, so consider it if you've never been.

Thanks,
Charlie

Well as you've already found out from previous trips, there are tons of little gems hidden all over this area, far far too many to list unless you've got specific areas in mind, so I'll just throw out two that come to mind.

New Ross, NS: Peasant's Pantry - small Deli/restaurant/butcher shop/etc. http://www.peasantspantry.ca/

​Baddeck, NS: Trailsman Motel - Bike friendly - they put cloths outside your door in the morning to wipe the evening dew off your bike. Good rates, good breakfast, 12 minutes ride from The Alexander Graham Bell Museum, under 1 mile to the Cabot Trail and also the Red Barn Restaurant and Gift Shop. We typically use the Trailsman as our overnight location for riding Cape Breton as it is central and easy to get back to from most directions. Park the bikes in the early evening at the motel and walk to the Red Barn to help build the appetite for dinner then the walk back to the motel to wear some of it off. ;-)
http://www.trailsmanmotel.directotels.com/

If you have specific places you expect to visit and wish to let me know I'll see if I can provide any suggestions.

Also, if let us (BMW Owners of Nova Scotia) know when exactly you'll be here and perhaps we can coordinate one of our Club rides to fit into your schedule. Certainly drop by to see us during our seasonal Thursday evening meets if your in the Halifax/Bedford area. We meet from 6pm on at The Chicken Burger (the oldest drive-in diner in Canada). It has been welcoming motorcyclists since the 1930's and has the photos on the wall to prove it. A fellow I went to scholl with bought it to keep it from being sold and torn down.
http://chickenburger.com
chickenburger-bedford-03-588x330.jpg

Another good spot in the area that another fellow I know has just opened close by is Vernon’s Thunderbird Diner (3,800-square-foot American Graffiti-style restaurant)
https://www.facebook.com/vernonsdiner/
Thunderbird Diner.jpg

Thanks a lot AllenColes ! Great information !

I mean really good and if I have time I will put all suggestions sent in in location alphabetical order. (And post, to benefit all). You should do a Motorcyclist Guide to the Maritimes. Sorta like Peter Mitchell (?) did for New Zealand.

Hope I put all of them as waypoints in my $100 GPS so when it's time to stop/eat/sleep I'll just stop and turn on the GPS and see what's near.

I do hope that I didn't insult the folks from New Brunswick by not including them initially. And only partly because I'd like some St. John suggestions for breakfast and lunch spots, etc. for taking the Ferry. Wasted some time last visit there looking for lunch or coffee.
Could use some good Tide viewing spots as well

I won't next trip, but would love to hang around "Main St" one day (and only one maybe) during the "Wharf Rat Rally" in Digby.
30,000 Bike event I heard.

Keep 'em coming, Please

Charlie

Nice! (Guide) Nice to see the "Cat" ferry is running again.
I'll be sure to get one.

But y'all don't let that from adding personal suggestions even if dated. I'm pretty sure there will be a '17 wave of motorcyclist that will enjoy that part of Canada and wanna tell others a thing or two. Just a note or two is all I need to aim in any particular direction.

Charlie

Ok I'll play. No expert but I have been to NS several times. In addition to Cape Breton/Cabot Trail & Halifax I would add: Lunenburg, Peggys Cove, Acadia University/Wolfville, Blomidon Provincial Park, Annoplis Valley. Fort Louisberg.

Don't think that you can go wrong anywhere in NS with cafes, restaurants or bed & breakfast and you're right, the locals are first class.

LaHave bakery in "LaHave" is awesome. Really nice coffee shop and good for lunch. Not really a restaurant but what they have is really great. Well worth a stop if you are anywhere near.

http://lahavebakery.com

Also in this area, Salt Shaker "deli" over in Lunenburg. AMAZING. Owned by the same folks who own and operate the most expensive place in town. Fresh seafood caught by the folks next door. totally worth every dime.

http://www.saltshakerdeli.com

"The Harbor" restaurant in Cheticamp. Overlooks the water from up high and is awesome at sunset for dinner. Food is excellent and reasonably priced. I have eaten there several times, although it has been a few years now since I've been there.

Sticky buns at the bakery in Alma NB
High tides and at the entrance to Fundy National Park. First hole at the park is about 100' above fairway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Thanks Alan)

Wanna buy one of these bike specific guides upon arrival in Nova Scotia next month, Sept '18. I don't know entry location yet.

Anyone seen them in bike shops or retail stores lately.

Charlie

According to the owner, Harold, in addition to buying the guide directly from them, it is also available
... at Walmarts, Coles, Indigo, Sobeys, Real Atlantic Superstores,
Shoppers Drug Marts, Lawtons Drugs & select motorcycle dealerships in Atlantic Canada.

Not sure how well stocked these spots would be but it's worth a try.

All of the following are recommended

Was up in New Brunswick last week on family business and would always recommend Fred’s, Chez Camille, Belair and Aboiteau in the Cap Pele (Cape Bald), NB area. Thumbs up on The Harbor in Cheticamp, NS. Acadian meat pie with a bowl of seafood chowder is what I recall having back in 2004. I was born in Amherst, NS live in Mass since ’56! Canada is still my #1 place! Ride safe!

[/QUOTE]According to the owner, Harold, in addition to buying the guide directly from them, it is also available
... at Walmarts, Coles, Indigo, Sobeys, Real Atlantic Superstores,
Shoppers Drug Marts, Lawtons Drugs & select motorcycle dealerships in Atlantic Canada.[/QUOTE]

Tried buying 2 Guides direct and Shipping was $20 on an $12 order.

I'd rather use that $20 for a tank of fuel riding from retailer to retailer. I do have some sense. Not a lot, but some.

Also, the US Walmart site wanted $25+- per copy, I think.

If I looking at the right guide, they are only $6.

I got by the other 4 trips w/o a guide, since the Maritimes are so easy to travel in. A guide is not required but would probably be a very nice addition to touring there. Especially being Motorcycle specific.

Charlie

Back