• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'76 R75/6 Points wire grommet

cseltz

Is there a simple reliable procedure for fitting the points wire grommet under the front engine cover? I have been messing with it for a half an hour and cannot get it to slip into place. Thanks

Thanks Kurt,

My issue is the square (rectangular.) grommet that fits in the notch right at the ends of the gasket that you are referencing. The wires from my Dyna III sensor run through it now but it was originally the points wire. I have the gasket in and it is fine but every time I put the front cover in place, it pushes the grommet out of its spot. I put it in new 4 years ago but can't seem to get it to replete. I'll try and get a picture.

If this works, you will see the grommet I am trying to get settled and the space in the cover it is supposed to fit.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_3071.jpg
    IMG_3071.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_3072.jpg
    IMG_3072.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 84
I also have the same setup on my /7. All I can say is that you have to "hold your teeth right"! I sense what you're talking about...when I put my front cover on, I have to develop a feel for when the front cover makes contact with the square grommet and then push it on in such a way as to get it to go squarely on. You might consider putting a small amount of silicone lubricant on the grommet to aid in the sliding motion.

I think you have it oriented correctly, but what if it were rotated 90 degrees? Again, given the curve of the boot, I think you're oriented correctly.

Thanks again. Yes it is oriented correctly. Just the way it came off. I guess you are right. I have to just carefully try it 50 times and the last time will be the one that works. There is just a bit of silicone grease on the grommet. The other problem is getting the tachometer cable grommet to slide in at the same time. Hopefully I will get it together tonight! Sometimes it is difficult to explain to my friends who play golf what I do for fun! Thanks.

I vaguely remember my Airhead days, but I think I put the rubber conduit grommet on the cover first (by feel) and then carefully with one hand and holding your tongue in the right position, slide the front cover into position. What a sweet spot it is too, when it lands right.
It may not work on some models.

Been there before too. Good luck.

Charlie

I've never had to deal with the tach cable. Maybe your issue is why they went to the electronic tach!! :stick Good luck!!

For me, it's been to put some type of auto body stickum/glue on the rubber "tab" backside, and wait overnight.....Been there for several changes and timing cover openings for years now.......Good luck

Is there a simple reliable procedure for fitting the points wire grommet under the front engine cover? I have been messing with it for a half an hour and cannot get it to slip into place. Thanks

Apply some silicone grease to the grooves in the grommet and make sure it is oriented correctly.
Try and place the front cover on square and it should go in.

Not the best design in the world, but it can be done.

Back