• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

K1600GTL 18K service question

shark6

Last year, I bought a 2012 K1600GTL from an out of state motorcycle dealer. It's nearly time for the 18K service appointment but I have zero faith in my one and only local BMW dealer to be honest. In the past, the sales team has been very inconsistent about prices on a couple of bikes, a trade-in, service prices, inventory, accessories and have just been overall shady in several areas. One of the mechanics said that there is a decent (10-15%) chance that the routine 18K service will find "catastrophic damage" that will render the engine virtually worthless... If true, he advised that I wreck the bike or claim it was stolen and collect on the insurance. He added that there is a 30% chance that the valves would require readjustment which would dramatically add to the already ridiculous $1K service call. Anyone have a similar experience or advice? Sadly, the next nearest shop is across the state. Thank you!

Welcome to the forum.
What State are you from?
Unless you live in a large state like Texas I would ride across the state and try the other dealer you mentioned.
A lot of us are a long ride from a dealer.

$1000? I had a coil replaced during my 18k mile service and with parts it was only $800. The coil itself was $200. Of course, I used an independent BMW mechanic.

$1000? I had a coil replaced during my 18k mile service and with parts it was only $800. The coil itself was $200. Of course, I used an independent BMW mechanic.

I was visiting with a shop owner last month about service and he mentioned the 18,000 miles service for a K1600 was around $1,100.
Shop rate $95/hr

shark6 said:
"catastrophic damage" that will render the engine virtually worthless

Does the motor start? Does it idle? Does it operate normally, without overheating or funny noises? Can you twist the throttle and go real fast? If yes to all four, feel free to show your fount of wisdom he's ...uh... number one in your book.

Sorta like this: uluu

And that's why I'll never own one.
Thanks for letting us know that. Of course you know nothing of the truth of this bike, the reliability and the service costs most of us really pay in the real world.

But please move along in ignorance.

Back on topic, a lot of the service costs can be reduced if you do some of the work yourself. Eliminate the oil change, fd change, air filter if they try to sell one and the brake fluid change if you can diy and you'll reduce your service costs by almost half, more if you're willing to r/r the body work.

The 18k service is large and it takes a while to just r/r the plastics. The more you're willing to diy the more you save.

My last 18k service cost me around $450, $125 of that on spark plugs alone. I did the oil, fd and brake fluid myself and next time I'll buy and swap the spark plugs for half the cost.

Now as for the chance of finding damage that is complete bull scrap which dealer is telling you to commit insurance fraud? Call the police on them that is immoral, unethical and illegal.

Do some research more than 90 percent of k16 need no valve adjustments well past 72k. Some with over 150k haven't needed one valve touched.

Friend of mine was in Texas and his engine was overheating bad a few weeks ago. Towed to a dealer, dealer said he needed a new engine and since he was from out of state they didn't want to deal with his extended warranty.

Guy rented a uhaul and towed his bike back to NH at a cost of $2500 and brought it to Max BMW. Max found a bird struck and destroyed his radiator. New engine nope, new radiator and he is on his way to run the ibr this week.

Wondering if it is the same dealer that mother BMW should be aware of.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Thanks for letting us know that. Of course you know nothing of the truth of this bike, the reliability and the service costs most of us really pay in the real world.

But please move along in ignorance.

Back on topic, a lot of the service costs can be reduced if you do some of the work yourself. Eliminate the oil change, fd change, air filter if they try to sell one and the brake fluid change if you can diy and you'll reduce your service costs by almost half, more if you're willing to r/r the body work.

The 18k service is large and it takes a while to just r/r the plastics. The more you're willing to diy the more you save.

My last 18k service cost me around $450, $125 of that on spark plugs alone. I did the oil, fd and brake fluid myself and next time I'll buy and swap the spark plugs for half the cost.

Now as for the chance of finding damage that is complete bull scrap which dealer is telling you to commit insurance fraud? Call the police on them that is immoral, unethical and illegal.

Do some research more than 90 percent of k16 need no valve adjustments well past 72k. Some with over 150k haven't needed one valve touched.

Friend of mine was in Texas and his engine was overheating bad a few weeks ago. Towed to a dealer, dealer said he needed a new engine and since he was from out of state they didn't want to deal with his extended warranty.

Guy rented a uhaul and towed his bike back to NH at a cost of $2500 and brought it to Max BMW. Max found a bird struck and destroyed his radiator. New engine nope, new radiator and he is on his way to run the ibr this week.

Wondering if it is the same dealer that mother BMW should be aware of.

You're a cheery character. Someone must be paying that as that's what they've been quoted. I've heard less if it doesn't need valve adjustments, but some dealers like to prey on ignorance. That said, I have no idea why you responded the way you did. I all I said I that's why I wouldn't own one. I didn't disparage the bike and it seems you have a chip on your shoulder and have something to prove. Good luck with that and getting all that exercise jumping to conclusions that had nothing to do with my post.

you know nothing of the truth of this bike, the reliability and the service costs most of us really pay in the real world.

Back on topic, a lot of the service costs can be reduced if you do some of the work yourself.

The price I quoted was from a good dealer that has reasonable charges for service work. Shop rate is $95, which is probably lower than some.

I always do as much as I can and take the bikes in for the items I'm not comfortable with.

If you decide to check the valves and change plugs yourself, don't forget you need to make or purchase a vacuum kit for refilling the coolant.

The price I quoted was from a good dealer that has reasonable charges for service work. Shop rate is $95, which is probably lower than some.

I always do as much as I can and take the bikes in for the items I'm not comfortable with.

If you decide to check the valves and change plugs yourself, don't forget you need to make or purchase a vacuum kit for refilling the coolant.
I won't do valve checks myself. It's a bit more than I'm confident with, especially the coolant bleeding. Most other services I'll do myself.

$95 an hour is reasonable it's how many hours that charge that adds up.

Back