• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Stanchon issue on 2016 GS ADV

lbnyc

Hi,
Just read on another forum on Facebook that BMW may issue a recall to fix this issue that could be a very dangerous one.
Does anybody have any specific info?
Thank you.
Louis

Hi,
Just read on another forum on Facebook that BMW may issue a recall to fix this issue that could be a very dangerous one.
Does anybody have any specific info?
Thank you.
Louis

I haven't heard a word. So, what forum on Facebook? We need more info.

Surprised too

I had heard about failing units last week...surprised not a peep here:dunno

The fellow who told me about it showed me a picture from somewhere he had found

Found this

https://www.change.org/p/bmw-motorc...t-publicly-on-fork-stanchion-separation-issue

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/upper-stanchion-crimping-failure.1184877/

Yes, I am also very surprised this forum has no mention of it since it is very present on others and this problem seems to be in many countries. Some also show a letter in german asking to bring the bike or contact the dealer.

Pre-emptive repair on mine completed this morning.

Attachments

• Fork clamps 2.jpg
    Fork clamps 2.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 357
  • Fork clamps 1.jpg
    Fork clamps 1.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 356
The stanchon issue has also been discussed on http://www.r1200gs.info/forum/. A couple of posters indicated they had complete failure in the first couple of thousand miles.

Also being discussed over there is an issue with valve ticking. A poster from Australia indicated that they have required a recall and are replacing the cams in some water-cooled boxers to eliminate the tick.

Also being discussed over there is an issue with valve ticking. A poster from Australia indicated that they have required a recall and are replacing the cams in some water-cooled boxers to eliminate the tick.

The shop told me a few of the early water cooled boxers had cam problems and to take a good look at the lobs when checking the valves.
I'll probably have the shop take a look at the cams on both bikes before they go out of warranty.

As for a tic, I'll never hear a tic over all that other clatter :)

The shop told me a few of the early water cooled boxers had cam problems and to take a good look at the lobs when checking the valves.
I'll probably have the shop take a look at the cams on both bikes before they go out of warranty.

I've only got 1,500 miles on the GSA and have not been around other water-cooled boxers, so I have nothing on which to base an assessment of the engine noises. I certainly can hear what I think are valves, but is it unusual.... don't know. Maybe we should have a listening session at the rally. I have a Super Tenere and the motor on it sounds like a steam powered threshing machine, but they seem to go on forever.

Evidently, the Austraiian recall entails replacing the exhaust cams and decompressor on the right cylinder.

Surprised!

Yes, I am also very surprised this forum has no mention of it since it is very present on others and this problem seems to be in many countries. Some also show a letter in german asking to bring the bike or contact the dealer.

Really?

I know this thread is about a different mechanical/build issue, but when reading through, this post made me chuckle.
Noisy mechanically, ruined the ride for me.

I'm kind of interested in the North America recall. South Africa in to far to trailer a bike.

Yes, same here. Actually I'm interested in two things:

I'm taking delivery of a 2017 GSA end of October, already purchased. What can I expect out of the dealer regarding this issue?

Also, I'm somewhat surprised to have not much interest here on the issue as evidenced by the short thread.

One would suppose that adding the proper feeler gage to his or her kit and checking for gap every X number of miles might improve one's confidence. This was not what I bargained for when I wrote that big check! Could it be that the program in SA is an attempt by corporate to get a handle on the frequency of the problem? Then again, having forks fail even as a rare event, is unnerving and to me, unacceptable.

Yes, same here. Actually I'm interested in two things:

I'm taking delivery of a 2017 GSA end of October, already purchased. What can I expect out of the dealer regarding this issue?

Also, I'm somewhat surprised to have not much interest here on the issue as evidenced by the short thread.

One would suppose that adding the proper feeler gage to his or her kit and checking for gap every X number of miles might improve one's confidence. This was not what I bargained for when I wrote that big check! Could it be that the program in SA is an attempt by corporate to get a handle on the frequency of the problem? Then again, having forks fail even as a rare event, is unnerving and to me, unacceptable.

I'd expect any corrective action or redesign to have been accomplished before the bike leaves the factory. No need for dealer involvement.

The problem reports all seem to be from owners that ride fairly hard off-road. I suspect the majority of members posting here are more street-oriented and have not experienced the issue. That looong thread over at advrider is made up of reports from riders worldwide that post repeatedly - many posts about a single bike with the problem.

vi
I'd expect any corrective action or redesign to have been accomplished before the bike leaves the factory. No need for dealer involvement.

Well, what can I say? My bike was in a dealer showroom in May, there and then is when I purchased it. So how, for an issue just now being reported, is a factory fix going to relate to my GSA. My VIN probably left Berlin in January.

Worse yet, you are saying that all is well due to the fact that R1200 GSA purchasers/riders are unable or unwilling to ride the bike as it is advertised so don't worry? Good Christ.

"The problem reports all seem to be from owners that ride fairly hard off-road. I suspect the majority of members posting here are more street-oriented":banghead

I suspect different issues for the "majority of members", if this is true. I'll be careful not to awake any of you at nap time....:dance

Back