• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Lights staying on when bike is turned off 17RT

T-foiler

I installed an ezcan and denali lights last night. When playing with all combinations I found that if I had the high beams on then shut the bike off the low beam bulb stayed on, then in 10 seconds the halos turned on. In 30 seconds both units shut off. Then I disconnected the denali lights but not the ezcan, shut the bike off with the brights on and the same thing happened. For the sake of science I should disconnect the ezcan then repeat the experiment, but it's too hot out. So I'm doing the next best thing, asking you guys if this is a design feature. I looked at the lighting section in the manual and it doesn't say anything about the feature. Talked with twisted throttle and they said it can't be the ezcan because it only listens to the canbus, amen never talks to the bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't have as complex a system as you have on your bike. I do find on my 2015 RT that some things (Skene lights, and the dash aux power outlet) stay powered up for a minute or two. I had the same situation on my 2008 RT, so I just figured that it's the BMW system.

BTW, hello neighbor!

I am not sure this has anything to do with your issue, but I have a 2017 RT and found out that the GS911 does not work on the 2017 due to the Engine controller and Body controllers being different. Since the EZcan is made by the same people, it could have an effect. Supposedly they are working on updating the software to include the 2017 models. It has been since March that they have made a software update.

Ron

Yes I have the adapter and used it to connect the GS911 to the new style connector on the 17. You can only do an autoscan that is partial and does not include the engine controller or Body controller. You can't even reset the service reminder.

It really makes the $430 tool useless on a 2017.

Ron

Yes I have the adapter and used it to connect the GS911 to the new style connector on the 17. You can only do an autoscan that is partial and does not include the engine controller or Body controller. You can't even reset the service reminder.

It really makes the $430 tool useless on a 2017.

Ron

I went through this with the 2016 R1200RS.
The Kombi Cluster Controller of the RS is different from the GS and RT and I was not able to reset the service reminder when using a laptop.
It took about a year before Hexcode was able to source a RS Kombi and figure out how to fix the problem.
Hexcode was very good working with me to correct the problem.

My 17RT has the old computer connector. Maybe it's a blend of a 16 & 17, though it has the best trany I've ever had in a bmw.

I was wondering if one of you could try to duplicate my results?
Have your bike running with your high beams on - shut it off and watch your lights to see what they do.
Thanks in advance.

My 17RT has the old computer connector. Maybe it's a blend of a 16 & 17, though it has the best trany I've ever had in a bmw.

I was wondering if one of you could try to duplicate my results?
Have your bike running with your high beams on - shut it off and watch your lights to see what they do.
Thanks in advance.

T-foiler,

I have a 2015 RTW. With my brights turned on, I can turn off the engine and all my lights turn off immediately and stay that way. Hope that helps you.

2017 GSA with keyless ignition. When shut down the headlight remains on for several seconds, but the auxilliary lights go off. Once the headlight goes off the auxilliary lights come one for a few seconds. Courtesy lights???

2016 GS. Headlights stay on for about 10 secs after bike shutdown. GPS stays on for 30, unless I manually cancel it. Just added a PDM60. Tapped a timed-delay power lead after I tried multiple points using youtube vids for directions, all were confusing/inaccurate for one reason or another, but could not readily find a non-delayed hot lead. PDM set for no delay off. PDM now stays on for 30 secs after bike shuts off, but driving lights, using same power source as the PDM, will stay on for close to 2 mins after bike is shut off. I dunno :dunno
I'm leaving it as is, as everything does shut off in a reasonable time span... but it does seem that there's a power delay built into the system.
Oddly, when I tried tapping the tail-light for power, the PDM would not shut down at all, until disconnected from that power source.

Last edited:
My Hyper lites stay on for about 30seconds after shutoff, as does the GPS I haven't looked to see if anything else delays on shutoff. I assumed it was correct behaviour...

2017 GSA with keyless ignition. When shut down the headlight remains on for several seconds, but the auxilliary lights go off. Once the headlight goes off the auxilliary lights come one for a few seconds. Courtesy lights???

The Germans call this "coming home" lights. My VW does it too.

Back