• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2016 r1200rt. a few issues

rick601

Just got back from a fantastic 2K 6 day trip with my son. The bike is amazing. However, there were two issues I thought I'd share here before mentioning it to the dealer for warranty work.
1. Even after a 2 hour stop and go in hot North Carolina , or was it Pennsylvania? (don't ask) when we stopped and I turned the bike off, the fan didn't continue to run. My other liquid bike fan will run after I stop when it's hot. Is this NOT a feature on my bike? Is there a test for this?

2. My cruise control doesn't "resume" or "decelerate" when I flick the little toggle thing. It did work fine for a while, then stopped. A few times it would work for one or two decells but basically doesn't...anyone else have this issue?

I assume both are clearly covered under warranty (assuming the fan is supposed to continue to cool after shut-down when the engine is extra hot).

It was pretty hot here Saturday when my wife and I took a decently long ride. I noticed two times that the fan turned off when I turned off the bike. I figured that's how BMW made it.

My cruise control, while not used a whole lot yet, has been great. Never had it do anything odd.

I don't see any need for the fan to continue running unless the water temperature is already above the designed operating range, which would generate a red warning light. I've not heard of overheating problems on the Wetheads. The temperature will be dropping anyway once the engine is off.

The cruise control issue is a warranty problem.

I had an issue with my '16 RT cruise control also. The deceleration function wouldn't work properly. The dealer replaced the switch assembly under warranty but the problem persisted. All other functions worked properly including resume which uses the same switch position. The dealer contacted BMW about the issue but couldn't get additional info. He reflashed computers but it didn't work. While taking a long trip through Florida this winter, I stopped at a dealer in Sarasota for a 12K service. I asked them to looking into issue. The mechanic ran a bunch of diagnostic procedures and fixed the problem. Unfortunately, they wouldn't let me talk directly with the mechanic so I couldn't find out exactly what he did to fix the problem. The service paperwork describes a bunch of computer procedures he preformed but I can't figure out which one fixed it. There were fault codes for the tail/brake lights that he cleared. No doubt, these came from me adding a additional brake light and getting the wiring wrong the first time. Faults have not come back.

The fan has stopped when the bike is shut off on all of our water-cooled bikes we have owned in the past.
It also stops on our 2016 R1200RS wethead.

The fan has stopped when the bike is shut off on all of our water-cooled bikes we have owned in the past.
It also stops on our 2016 R1200RS wethead.

Same same, and when you think about it if water isn't circulating there isn't much point in blowing air thru the radiator!

The fan continues on my 2004 Triumph Thunderbird sport. As I read the responses here I do begin to wonder what that accomplishes.

Same same, and when you think about it if water isn't circulating there isn't much point in blowing air thru the radiator!

The coolant would circulate slowly due to convection (density differences), but without actual measurements of flow and cooling rates it would be hard to know whether that would make it worth running the fan. I would bet that the BMW engineers have considered this issue and rendered their professional opinion. :)

Ken

When the engine is hot, the fan continues to run on my2004 Triumph thunderbird sport. As I read the previous replies, I wonder why!

My FJR's fan shuts off when the ignition is turned off. It may be different from year to year or Generation to Generation. Mine is a 2013 Gen 3.

I've heard fans continue to run for a brief time on my police bikes, a Triumph Trophy and some model Gold Wings, all for the same reason, I suspect.

Cooling (disapating) residual heat in the radiator itself, in preparation for an imminent re-start.

Not such a bad idea when you think about it. :dunno

I've heard fans continue to run for a brief time on my police bikes, a Triumph Trophy and some model Gold Wings, all for the same reason, I suspect.

Cooling (disapating) residual heat in the radiator itself, in preparation for an imminent re-start.

Not such a bad idea when you think about it. :dunno

If you are draining from the battery it will shorten battery life, may not be much but think of other parasitic draw, it adds up. So unless it has a benefit I'd say no fan after turning the bike off. just my honest option.

Jay

If you are draining from the battery it will shorten battery life, may not be much but think of other parasitic draw, it adds up. So unless it has a benefit I'd say no fan after turning the bike off. just my honest option.

Jay

A valid concern. But the fan on those bikes only ran after shut-down, if they had over-heated and the fan was running in the first place.

If fan wasn't running at time of shutdown, fan did not kick in.

No battery issues that I experienced.

FJR1300 fans runs after ignition off also. Not long but a minuet or two.

I was surprised the RT did not do the same. I guess wetheads do not need the extra few minuets after shutdown.

never having danced the minuet, I have no idea how long that is....

Fourth Battery in 2 years

Anyone else going through batteries faster than tires on their 2016 RT? 26,000 miles and my battery is dead again. It also blows the H7 dim light every time this happens, so I’m on my 3rd dim bulb.

RR - I'm not familiar with their electrics, but that sounds like an alternator/regulator problem; 2nd thought is a bad ground somewhere...

Better get that looked at while it's still under warranty. Not sure if you are aware of this but if it is the alternator, its INSIDE the engine. The transmission case needs to be removed (I think the whole engine needs to come out to facilitate this) in order to get at it and the part itself is $1,300. This is the ONE thing I dislike about the RTW.

Better get that looked at while it's still under warranty. Not sure if you are aware of this but if it is the alternator, its INSIDE the engine. The transmission case needs to be removed (I think the whole engine needs to come out to facilitate this) in order to get at it and the part itself is $1,300. This is the ONE thing I dislike about the RTW.

Yikes! I replaced the alternator (with a rebuilt one) on my 2005 RT in half a day. Sure, you had to remove the tupperware, fuel tank, front shock, etc... but it was all straight forward. While I had it apart I serviced the servo brake brick as well, since that's under the fuel tank too. ;)

I'd hate to have a do an alternator replacement on the 2016...

Whoa there, pilgrim, depending on how much Reese trusts his local dealer, check the easy stuff first!
Any ground (or other wiring) related to the battery, the alternator/regulator, lighting (including inside the sockets)...

Back