• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Adding power dongles?

RBEmerson

Kein Nasebohrer
I'll be renting a '15-'17 (don't know which, yet) K1600GT in Alps country in July. I want to add dongles for USB adapters. Knowing the bike uses CANbus, do the dongles (with the BMW/Euro plugs, of course) need to be CANbus capable or does the power socket handle that job? I know that trickle chargers need to be CANbus capable. Also, I'll probably take a MotoPumps pump along (daily inflation as needed - DynaPlug tire plug kit; un-needed I hope!). I can plug it into dongle. CANbus support needed?

I have no skin with MotoPumps, but I recommend them emphatically. I've used it and the DynaPlug kit (same level of recommendation) to handle a small nail in the back tire of my K1200RS while on the road. Inflation time, starting from 8 PSI(!!!), was short enough that I over-inflated (wanted 40 PSI) the tire while chatting with a friend. I've used stuff sold by FLAPS and... they're OK, by comparison, for light duty as a paperweight.

If you are plugging into the bikes stock power ports then you have no canbus worries at all. Doesn't matter what's plugged in, what does matter is the draw, if the amps are too high the computer will shut the plug down. For phone, gps use no worries. Heated gear sometimes is an issue and for an air pump I'd bring clips to go direct to battery under the seat.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Thanks for the quick reply.

My big worry is sitting the middle of Munich, muttering "oh shucks". ;)

The pump doesn't draw a lot, but I do have battery clips, as well as SAE and cigarette connectors, in the bag with the pump.

You'll be fine for the basics. Like I said heated gear would be the only issue and mainly if you run more than one item from the same plug. If you get a flat I'd leave the bike running with the pump connected to the battery while airing up.

The only reason the chargers need to be made for the canbus is if you plug them into the sockets, they have a special routine that activates the socket to take the charge with the bike off, a standard charger connected to the battery works fine like any other bike.

Great thanks!

No heated gear on this trip. It can be cool in the passes, but not too bad in the valleys, and often downright close to hot in the Italian towns.

My big project is keeping the electronics happy.

There is also a USB plug in the right side glove box, it's tight getting a phone in there but it's an option for charging too and with a long USB cable you can run a wire to your pocket or the front of the bike as needed.

Back