Thread: Riding around horses article.

Riding around horses article.

Don't see them often but nice to know this. Thought it may be of interest.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/new-ri...s-horses-road/

Have a great remainder of the weekend.

Chris

I live in an Ohio Amish area and pass horses pulling buggies on almost every ride. There are also many other individual riders in the area.

The advice on your thread is generally quite good. The "road" they show is more like a riding/biking trail than any public road in Ohio.

Most BMW bikes are relatively quiet. My experience is put as much distance between you and the horse as possible.

I've not found reasonable speed to be a problem as long as you are not accelerating too quickly and increasing engine noise when you pass.

I always check to see if there is a place they could be turning into before passing. Horses and buggies don't have turn signals!
    George
    R1200RT. Previous K1200RS, K1200LT, R80RT, R100R, R75/5

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeR1200RT View Post

Most BMW bikes are relatively quiet. My experience is put as much distance between you and the horse as possible.

I've not found reasonable speed to be a problem as long as you are not accelerating too quickly and increasing engine noise when you pass.

I always check to see if there is a place they could be turning into before passing. Horses and buggies don't have turn signals!
    Ditto. I have also found that BMW's are sometimes too quiet (especially if you are approaching an animal from its blind side). Most of the Amish have "road smart" horses, and not too much excites them. I have spooked bears, moose, cows because the bike is quiet. I'll still take quiet over being obnoxiously loud.
    Gail Thorne
    2017 F700GS

Riding the ridges in central PA requires being comfortable with the Amish. Been doing it for 40-yrs (the last 30+ on BMW's) and the Amish horses aren't a problem. Non-Amish riders scare the living daylights out of me. I've seen non-Amish riders take spirited rides in unknown directions, several times. Thank God, it's no longer fashionable for these folks to ride their poorly trained pets on the paved roads.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeR1200RT View Post
    I also don't chop the throttle near horses. The sudden deceleration can startle animals.
    Plenty of Amish near us and I ride by at a steady reasonable speed and have not had a problem.
    Same thing with tractors, I watch for field entrances they may turn into.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Great Comments!

Thanks everyone for the added insights. I occasionally see horses in Texas but they are usually pretty far from the road. Maybe folks going to the rally will see some in the western states.

Best regards,

Chris