• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

brought first trike

retired_af

Just brought my first trike it is a 2005 K 1200LT Hannigan with 4600 miles
drive nice but takes a little to get used to.

First trike

Just brought my first trike it is a 2005 K 1200LT Hannigan with 4600 miles
drive nice but takes a little to get used to.

Takes a LOT of getting used to ! Take it slow and easy for another 4600 miles. It's a big heavy rig and all too easy to find yourself on the wrong side of the centerline. Don't do that !

Friedle

Congrats! See if there is a S/TEP class available in your area, well worth the time & $$ to lear the idiosyncracies of your Trike.

Thinkin of converting '07 R1200RT to trike.

Recently had major lower back surgery and am thinking of converting RT to a trike. Starting point? Besides Hannigan and Lehman, any other suggestions? Thanks

Trike 2014 R1200

I'm thinking about triking my RT. Hanegan seems to be the only one doing BMW's, is that right?

Has anyone had it done?

Thanks,

Recently had major lower back surgery and am thinking of converting RT to a trike. Starting point? Besides Hannigan and Lehman, any other suggestions? Thanks

My suggestion is to be sure to ride a 3 wheeled vehicle of the type that you are thinking before spending any $. They not only handle completely different then a 2 wheeled bike but also different then a 4 wheeled vehicle. Some aspects of riding 3 wheels are more difficult the 2 wheels and may or may not hurt your back worse. 3 wheels are not more difficult nor easier to ride, just a different skill type and muscles.

I think I'd get a Vanderhall Venice before I'd ever consider a trike.

https://vanderhallusa.com

I mean they do look cool. Kinda stable with two wheels up front. Not knocking trikes for anyone else though. You can still get wet in a Vanderall.

Each to his own, but that’s a long way from motorcycling.

A nice unit, at least from the website pics, but in the same class as the Slingshot and other SxS rigs. For me, if going SxS I’d sooner pick up a good used BMW Z3 or Z4 convertible and have the benefit of usable luggage space, readily available dealer service, better safety gear like airbags, and better resale. But better than any of them would be a Hannigan conversion. Lehman does a nice job too, but they seem more focused on the H-D and Goldwing machines. From what I’ve seen, Hannigan does a great job on conversions.

But then, I’m a sidecar guy and a happy Hannigan customer. :)

Best,
DG

Each to his own, but that’s a long way from motorcycling.

A nice unit, at least from the website pics, but in the same class as the Slingshot and other SxS rigs. For me, if going SxS I’d sooner pick up a good used BMW Z3 or Z4 convertible and have the benefit of usable luggage space, readily available dealer service, better safety gear like airbags, and better resale. But better than any of them would be a Hannigan conversion. Lehman does a nice job too, but they seem more focused on the H-D and Goldwing machines. From what I’ve seen, Hannigan does a great job on conversions.

But then, I’m a sidecar guy and a happy Hannigan customer. :)

Best,
DG

Can't say I disagree with you on that. It ain't a motorcycle. It doesn't have space. Been looking for a Z3/Z4 when the wife isn't looking.

I think I'd get a Vanderhall Venice before I'd ever consider a trike.

https://vanderhallusa.com

I mean they do look cool. Kinda stable with two wheels up front. Not knocking trikes for anyone else though. You can still get wet in a Vanderall.

We took a test drive in one, the Venice model. Pretty cool toy...it was fun and we liked it a lot. Same day we test drove a new Mazda Miata...same price. I would take the Miata over the Vanderhall Venice. I must be getting old...

Back