Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: brought first trike

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Cresco,Iowa
    Posts
    9

    brought first trike

    Just brought my first trike it is a 2005 K 1200LT Hannigan with 4600 miles
    drive nice but takes a little to get used to.

  2. #2
    Registered User lmo1131's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Pismo Beach, CA
    Posts
    3,849
    Nice. But with no pics, it doesn't exist!
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden
    Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner
    1963 Dnepr

  3. #3
    '99 '03 '06 National Co-Rally Chair Friedle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Posts
    1,404

    First trike

    Quote Originally Posted by retired_af View Post
    Just brought my first trike it is a 2005 K 1200LT Hannigan with 4600 miles
    drive nice but takes a little to get used to.

    Takes a LOT of getting used to ! Take it slow and easy for another 4600 miles. It's a big heavy rig and all too easy to find yourself on the wrong side of the centerline. Don't do that !

    Friedle
    Ride fast safely

  4. #4
    Curmudgeon At Large Bobmws's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Astatula, FL
    Posts
    1,309
    Congrats! See if there is a S/TEP class available in your area, well worth the time & $$ to lear the idiosyncracies of your Trike.
    Bob Weis
    Bikeless! 2004-bmw-k12rs-hannigan-Sold!

  5. #5

    Thinkin of converting '07 R1200RT to trike.

    Recently had major lower back surgery and am thinking of converting RT to a trike. Starting point? Besides Hannigan and Lehman, any other suggestions? Thanks

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Hiawassee, GA
    Posts
    277

    Trike 2014 R1200

    I'm thinking about triking my RT. Hanegan seems to be the only one doing BMW's, is that right?

    Has anyone had it done?

    Thanks,
    Mary
    2007 R1200RT, gone
    2009 R1200RT, gone
    2014 R1200RTW, GREAT

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Roanoke, VA
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by 91021 View Post
    Recently had major lower back surgery and am thinking of converting RT to a trike. Starting point? Besides Hannigan and Lehman, any other suggestions? Thanks
    My suggestion is to be sure to ride a 3 wheeled vehicle of the type that you are thinking before spending any $. They not only handle completely different then a 2 wheeled bike but also different then a 4 wheeled vehicle. Some aspects of riding 3 wheels are more difficult the 2 wheels and may or may not hurt your back worse. 3 wheels are not more difficult nor easier to ride, just a different skill type and muscles.

  8. #8
    I think I'd get a Vanderhall Venice before I'd ever consider a trike.

    https://vanderhallusa.com

    I mean they do look cool. Kinda stable with two wheels up front. Not knocking trikes for anyone else though. You can still get wet in a Vanderall.

  9. #9
    Registered User GTRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Nibley, UT USA
    Posts
    754
    Quote Originally Posted by anglojaxon View Post
    I think I'd get a Vanderhall Venice before I'd ever consider a trike.

    https://vanderhallusa.com

    I mean they do look cool. Kinda stable with two wheels up front. Not knocking trikes for anyone else though. You can still get wet in a Vanderall.
    Each to his own, but thatís a long way from motorcycling.

    A nice unit, at least from the website pics, but in the same class as the Slingshot and other SxS rigs. For me, if going SxS Iíd sooner pick up a good used BMW Z3 or Z4 convertible and have the benefit of usable luggage space, readily available dealer service, better safety gear like airbags, and better resale. But better than any of them would be a Hannigan conversion. Lehman does a nice job too, but they seem more focused on the H-D and Goldwing machines. From what Iíve seen, Hannigan does a great job on conversions.

    But then, Iím a sidecar guy and a happy Hannigan customer.

    Best,
    DG
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST -- 1988 R100GS "Bee"-- 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C -- 2010 K1300GT
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by GTRider View Post
    Each to his own, but thatís a long way from motorcycling.

    A nice unit, at least from the website pics, but in the same class as the Slingshot and other SxS rigs. For me, if going SxS Iíd sooner pick up a good used BMW Z3 or Z4 convertible and have the benefit of usable luggage space, readily available dealer service, better safety gear like airbags, and better resale. But better than any of them would be a Hannigan conversion. Lehman does a nice job too, but they seem more focused on the H-D and Goldwing machines. From what Iíve seen, Hannigan does a great job on conversions.

    But then, Iím a sidecar guy and a happy Hannigan customer.

    Best,
    DG
    Can't say I disagree with you on that. It ain't a motorcycle. It doesn't have space. Been looking for a Z3/Z4 when the wife isn't looking.

Similar Threads

  1. I brought home a basket case
    By JDOCKERY132445 in forum Oilheads
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-11-2015, 12:30 AM
  2. Brought one home.....
    By dennisarner in forum Hexheads/Camheads
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-08-2014, 07:03 PM
  3. Brought her home yesterday
    By whtdrgn101 in forum New Members
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-06-2012, 10:53 PM
  4. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-06-2006, 08:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •