• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Mystery part

AjaxTheDog

Went to gas up and found this inside the gas cap. Gas cap seems to be working OK but the detente when flipped up isn't there anymore. It was balky recently so it is probably related to that. It stays up fine though. This doesn't even show in the parts fiche.
IMG_20170610_134754852.jpg
P6100313.jpg

Yup, it was the detente pin. Plastic cage broke and it fell out. Looks like it needed lubrication. No biggie though, gas cap still works fine.

The lesson here being be sure to lube your gas cap hinge. I didn't.

Thanks. That tread is about the detente for little flapper that covers the keyhole. This is about the detente that clicks when you open the filler cap with a key and it clicks into place open. That's the part that broke on mine. Unfortunately unlike the key cover the gas cap detente is made out of plastic which wasn't really up to the job long term, a kinda cheesy delicate part. And close to $200 as all I can buy is the whole filler cap unit, they don't sell individual parts for this.

Have I used the word detente enough?? Ha!

:thumb
If they were not trying to have us "burn" water, the gas would have had some lubricant qualities.
At least you know where you are at. At first glance I thought it was out of a watch band.
OM

Back