• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

98 K1200RS Fuel Issue

cpo252

Hello all,
I was checking over my bike to get it ready for the summer. I had the wheels off to get new tires put on. The only thing I did that I hadn't done before was to move the fuel tank (without disconnecting) enough to check the air filter. Also fired it up to idle to operating temp to check the oil level. No issues to that point. Tires were ready so I put them on this morning and put everything back together to take it out for a short ride. The fuel pump cycled up when I turned the key on but when I pushed the button it fired for about 2 seconds and died. Tried again with throttle and it jumped up to 5K and then died again. Took all the plastic back apart and check the fuel lines, throttle cable and all the wire connections and fuses. All good there. Called my guys at Carolina BMW in Greensboro and they were very patient and told me to check all the places I had already. They seem to think its a motor that controls the idle but need to plug it up first to confirm. Before I make the 120 trip, does anyone have any suggestions? I'm hoping I'll get lucky and it's something I've pulled loose. Thanks for any help.

Starting out

What sometimes happens when you change the air filter is that the rubber tube that is between the air box and the engine disconnects. It is on the forward left side. BMW didn't give us a lot of room to get at this stuff. Especially with the gas tank on. Check there and let us know what you find.

I checked it but no luck. I did have a loose throttle cable. Tightened it and that did eliminate the Erving to 5K on its own. I kept trying to get it to idle and after several attempts and as it warmed up a little I did get it to idle relatively smoothly as long as I manipulated the throttle. I think the initial diagnosis of bad fuel actuator is correct. Guess a trailer ride to Greensboro to plug it up is the next step. šŸ˜•

I replaced the fuel actuator but still a rough idle. Gauge showed 1/4 tank and I've heard stories about gauges being less than accurate so I poured a gallon in it. Smoothed out and idled for about 10 minutes like normal. Maybe simply low fuel/cruddy filter? Tried it again after 15 minutes and it's better but still a little rough. I think a new fuel filter and some fresh fuel. Then go from there.

Success! Took out the fuel filter and screen and cleaned them up. Purring right along now. I'm the 3rd owner and I'm finding oxidation in some odd places. Thinking it was left sitting outside for extended periods of time. A little TLC is making a huge difference. Think I'll go scuff in those new tires now. Thanks for the help!

Back